Chapter 36

"Sure, what can I help you with?" Jisung smiled brightly, once the slight shock from his face had gone.

"Um, I actually saw an advert online I wanted to ask about...." I replied, suddenly deciding I'd rather avoid an awkward situation of explaining why I'm really here.

"Ah, yes. We're still hiring." He replied, walking around past the til, closer to where I was standing."Did you want to drop of your resumé Miss.....?"

"Oh, Kwan. Kwan Ae-Young." I replied quickly. "But just Ae-Young is fine."

"Of course." Jisung replied with a small smile. Then there came a moment of silence before he spoke up again. "So....do you have it?"

"Oh no, sorry." I replied, almost stammering over my words. How could I not bring it with me? "I was hoping to instead just get an application form?"

"Yeah, sure." Jisung replied, going back behind the counter and searching around a bit. About a moment later he found a piece of paper, handing it over to me. "It's a good thing you came. A lot of people have been emailing, asking via the internet."

"Does it not work?" I asked, taking the form from Jisung, glancing at it for a few seconds before bringing my attention back up to him.

"Oh, I'm sure it's perfectly fine." Jisung started, leaning against the counter, a small smile evident as he thought to himself. "It's just the owner of the shop is more.... old-fashioned than that. He likes to be able to have a document right in front of him."

"I guess I'm lucky for coming in then." I replied, holding the piece of paper in my hand up a little, as if gesturing towards it. Then again came that silence. That kind of silence was the thing I came here to get rid of, make sure it didn't happen. So much for that idea.

"Whenever you do get it finished, just pop it back up to me." Jisung added. "I'm here all night, so if you get it finished, I can put in a good word."

"Seriously?" I asked, a little surprised at his offer.

"Sure, why not?" He shrugged, offering another smile.

"Thanks, I would really appreciate that." I replied, smiling back at him. So many awkward smiles.... "I'll be off then. And, I'll get this back to you as soon as possible."

"See you then, Ae-Young." Jisung simply said, nodding his head lightly in my direction before disappearing to the back, yet again.

I let out a deep breath once he was out of sight. I didn't even know I was holding my breath until now. The situation was probably a little more odd than I thought it would be. Should I even consider working here? Wouldn't it just be better to go back to my old job, beg for it back?

As I walked home, these were the only thoughts to occupy my mind. After all, I was giving up a job I had been in practically my whole life. Was it so wrong to second guess myself? Would it be terrible to just stay were I was? It was stable. It was safe. Once I put in the work, I didn't have to worry about whether or not my paycheck would suffice, because I knew from the beginning that it was more than sufficient enough.

But this new path I'm taking, it's different. In two weeks I'll no longer be in the same routine I've been in for these past few years. I'll be taking on new challenge, and hopefully I'll be back into studying again.

I suddenly grew very anxious at the idea of a new start. I've never made any drastic changes like this in my life and that mere fact was finally starting to sink in. My steps became slower, even though my apartment building was only a few meters away. But still, I slowed down. I slowed all the way down until I just stopped completely.