Chapter 1

Ae-Young P.O.V. 

"Have you ever wanted a soulmate? Someone, who was destined to be yours, and yours alone. Well, I don't know about you, but I've thought about this many times. Though, I have yet to find mine...

At this point, you're probably wondering how you can actually find a soulmate. Well, that is something I know all too well about.

Soulmate bonding, was a core subject while I was attending school. It was compulsory, and just as important as the likes of Maths or English. So, I could go on and on about this, without the need to think twice.

I could, but for your sake I probably won't. I'll only fill you in, on the basics. Like why you need them, or how you actually find yours.

Let's start off, with why you actually need one. I know you might be thinking, 'I'm an independent human being, I shouldn't need a soulmate'. You were thinking that, right? Well, I'm sorry to tell you, but once you've interacted with your soulmate, your life will never be the same.

Once you simply touch your soulmate, you need them to live for the rest of your life. Be it, only a simple handshake, or accidentally bumping into them, because you're a naturally clumsy person. Either way, you'll continue to need them. 

Once you touch, you won't feel the same again. There are a few things that begin to happen, that you may think have no reason being so. Like for example, you might feel a sudden wave of sadness. That is due to your soulmate, being so deep in that emotion, that you too begin to experience it. That is why it is so important to be mindful of the people around you.

Like I said, one touch, and that's you with that person for life. It might sound a bit harsh, having to stay with the same person for all eternity, but it's not our fault. This is genetics, and over the course of evolution, we came to be this way. 

Believe it or not, we still don't know what the cause of this beginning was. Nor do we know when exactly it started, or why it still continues. 

As I previously said, I haven't found mine yet, so I don't know how it actually feels. But many people have stated, that they feel empty without them. It's as thought their soulmate, was a part of themselves, once they bonded. 

There is so much we still don't know about Soulmate Bonding, so I apologise if I am unable to answer any other questions you may have." 

I finished off my speech, in front of the kids at this school. I've been called in from work, as an SBR (Soulmate Bonding Researcher), to teach these 14 year olds about Soulmate Bonding. 

I've already recieved quite a few stupid questions, and I'm preparing myself for more. There were questions like 'Can you be in another relationship, if you've already found your soulmate' and 'Can you cheat on your soulmate?' or simply 'Do you stop eating, after finding you soulmate?'. All stupid questions, that you simply need logic to answer. 

"So, what about the numbers?" A boy asked, and I smiled. Finally, a person that actually asks relevant questions.

"The numbers, everyone gets them, right after you first touch your soulmate. Though, some people have a more rare case, and get their numbers before even touching their soulmate. Though of course, that is very rare, and only happens to 0.001% of people." I replied, as I watched a few students look at their wrists. 

"What hand are the numbers on?" 

"Normally, it would be on the hand you write with." I replied, but left something out. And only a second later, a student decided to question me on it.

"What if you're ambidextrous?" 

"It's whatever hand, is the most dominant. And if you don't know, well, I'm afraid you'll have to wait and see." I said, and looked to my left wrist, where my watch rested, to see that I was almost out of time. 

"Okay, I think Ms. Kwan has time for one more question, but then she has to leave." A member of staff said, without even asking me first, to see if I even had that much time. 

"Can we, reverse soulmate bonding?" A girl asked, from the crowd. 

"As far as I know, we're far from it. Though there is a small team that works around that, but not many people dedicate their studies to it." I replied.

"Well, I'll do that, when I'm older. I don't want to rely on someone, in order to live..." I could hear her, saying to herself.

"Okay kids, that's all for today. Say thank you to Ms. Kwan, for coming here during her own time, to talk to you about this." He said, and I internally laughed.

I would only go back to school, if someone paid me. Which is why I'm here during work hours, I am getting paid to do this, and I wouldn't do it any other way.

"Thank you!!" I heard, while I was leaving. 

"I don't know, it doesn't sound too important." I said, over the phone. I just got a call from my co-worker, saying that my boss is asking if I can go out.

You see, I work in the 'Rare Bonding' segment, alongside 6 others at work. But for some reason, I always get called out to the regular ones.

There's about 50 other people, that actually trained in that field of work, that would be happy to do it. But my boss always thinks that there could be something 'rare' about it. But, there never is, not even once.

"Nah, I'm fine." I said, after thinking through all my options.

"Mr. Lee did say something about, getting paid double time, if you do it." My co-worker continued. And that, definitely had me thinking again.

"You never said anything like that, beforehand...." I said, reconsidering my options.

"That was because Mr. Lee said not to, unless you turned it down." She said. And to be honest, I believe her. It's definitely not the first time this has happened.

"Fine, I'll do it. But do me a favour, and tell me that sort of information first thing." I said, before calling a taxi, to bring to the destination. As I looked at the text, I noticed I was already in the right place. Someone had rung in, from the school.

'This ought to be fun....' 

A/N How are you liking (or disliking) it so far? I know it's only starting, so naturally it's a bit of a mess. But trust me, it will get better!!  So I do hope you stick around, and see what's in stock for our lovely protagonist! 💜💜

And the gorgeous cover of this book, is made by HotChocoChipCookie  ~!!