Chapter nineteen

19. TWELVE STEP JUST FOR YOU

Elena Gilbert wasn't someone, many, people disliked

Openly anyway.

She was always that girl who shot smiles at the everyone she ever made eye contact with, the first to offer her help when necessary, the first to comfort anyone in need and the first to help old people to cross the street, if needs be.

But that's what she wanted them to see. She purposely put up that front. Wanting the world to see her smile and fall in love, to see her selfless nature and admire her and of course look into her innocent doe eyes and sympathise with her troubles.

The people around her didn't see the malicious and calculating fun sparkling in her eyes at the obvious rivalry she'd created between the two Salvatore brothers. Didn't see how she played with them both, led them on mercilessly for her own entertainment and obviously for the protection she deemed necessary. They merely believed she was a poor girl who'd gotten herself caught up with the brothers unintentionally and would do anything to break their feud.

Speaking of the wretched doppelgänger, she was on her couch. A warm mug of hot chocolate encased within her clammy grasp, undeniably soft brunette hair upturned into a messy bun. Her mind drifting over the Salvatore brothers, deciding her next move as though it were a meaningless game and not their lives.

A knock at the door of the Gilbert residence sounded and Elena automatically sighed in annoyance.

"Jeremy!" She exclaimed into the house, expecting an response from her brother and rolling her eyes angrily when she didn't receive what she wanted.

Elena already knew Jenna wasn't home so it was useless to try and call out for her. Jenna, hours ago, had happily told her she'd be going to a friends house and Elena had shot her a fake and scarily believable smile. But, inside, she felt bubbling annoyance and anger that Jenna's attention would be on something other than her. As bad as it sounded, she didn't want Jenna to have anyone else. Jenna was her aunt who should be paying attention to her.

The brunette heaved yet another large sigh and placed her mug of hot chocolate on top of the coffee table —making her way to the door of her house.

"Yes?" Elena answered impatiently, swinging the door open and almost hitting herself in the face but playing it off.

"Elena, hi it's so good to see you!" Sienna exclaimed in false enthusiasm, mirth brimming in her warm brown eyes and an amused smile tugging at her rosy lips.

The doppelgänger straightened out her posture, popping a hip and putting on her smile which got her anything she wanted.

"You too!" She replied with false happiness, unaware the girls greeting was just as, if not more, fake. A scowl fought for its place on her pretty features, she had caught Damon eyeing the other brunette up on multiple occasions and assumed that she must have made an advance on him.

"Why are you at my house?" Elena asked with her rehearsed passively questioning tone. Lips still in the painfully hard to maintain smile.

"Oh right." Sienna paused as though she just realised something, a maniacal sounding laugh escaping her lips and Elena flinched back in shock but before she could truly react, her vision faded into pure darkness.

• • •

"Why is she taking so long to wake up?"

"Maybe Stefan's vampire stamina tired her out last night."

"Or was it Damon's?"

"We'll never know."

Elena blinked her eyes open to the sound of cackles of laughter, finding blurry figures of the two best friends whom she'd secretly come to envy standing on a stone wall.

She widened her eyes looking around, she lay on a stone floor, with suspicious looking stains dotting across certain points. The cell had absolutely no windows, no light, the only light being received was from under the crook of the slightly uplifted locked, metal door.

Suddenly a square shaped look in through near the top of the door was pulled back and Sienna popped her head in —crazed grin growing brighter and wider at the sight of a now awake Elena.

"My love the pest has awoken." Sienna announced happily, turning to the side to look at her best friend.

"Oh goodie we were starting to worry Stefan's dick game was too rough last night." Olivia spoke, wincing in mock sympathy.

"Or Damon's we don't judge." Sienna added in 'innocently'.

The pair of them turned to face each other, "We totally do." They said quietly in sync and chuckled together.

"Sienna.. Liv?" Elena said slowly, as though her brain wasn't understanding the situation. Doe eyes enlarged into her typical expression, lips dramatically trembling already and tears gathering on her lash line.

"Ew no. Don't do that again. Ever." Olivia gagged, referring to the use of her nickname.

"You poor thing." Sienna frowned sympathetically, patting Olivia's back softly.

"You kidnapped me!" Elena shrieked, a following loud gasp leaving her mouth.

"No, Elena, we took you to Disney land." Sienna rolled her eyes exasperatedly.

"This is just our hotel, obviously." Olivia added in, a deadpan expression on her face.

A stuttered gasp left her lips once again, tears now actually falling down her full cheeks and she slumped down against the stone wall, screeching when she landed on a stain and scrambling away.

"Shall we just knock her out again?" Sienna questioned Olivia quietly.

"Sounds like the best plan to me."