3: A MISTAKE

GRACE'S POV

Hunter's mansion,
11:44 pm

I rolled down on my bed for the millionth time but sleep was nowhere in my eyes. I sighed sitting up.

Who were the men in the truck?
Does Hunter know they are here?
Why do I have a feeling that something bad is gonna happen? Should I go and check?

Yeah, Grace, you should go and at least have a look.

Listening to my inner voice I quickly wore my slippers and decent downstairs. The huge hallway was silent and dark only some golden dim lights were shining on the dark walls.

God is in my favor, there wasn't anyone I took it as a big chance and tiptoed making my way towards the basement.

At every step I was taking, the weird sounds were getting louder so my heartbeat. Gathering all my courage I grabbed the doorknob and twisted it.

I pushed the door slightly open only to hear the gasps of some people but I wasn't able to see them in the darkness.

Soon my eyes got used to darkness as I walked in further. I saw a girl sitting on the floor with her head buried in her knees, her shoulders were shaking, some hiccuping and sobbing sounds were coming from her.

I immediately sat on my knees near her gently placing my palm on her hands.

Her head snapped up and she tried to back off but the wall behind her didn't let her do so.

" Hey ". I said softly.

She looked up meeting my gaze. The lights coming from the door were hitting on her face showing scars and buries. She looked so vulnerable.

" What are you doing here? Who brought you?". I asked making her ocean blue eyes get bigger.

" Aren't you one of us?". She asked taking my hands in her grabbing it tightly like she has found something she has been craving for.

" No". I replied confused as I didn't know what she meant by us.

" Please save us. They are drugging and selling us out of the county for money". She pleaded as her eyes started streaming tears.

Her words remained me of myself. I was in the same condition as her years ago. Scared, hopeless, weak.

" Nothing will happen to you, I promise". I assured creasing her cheek. She seemed elder than me but I felt like giving her some comforts. " Where are others?". I asked.

She pointed her shaky finger backward. I stood up releasing my hands from her tight grip and went to have a look behind the wall.

I gasped looking at the bunch of young girls. Some were crying, some were scared, some were laying lifelessly on the freezing floor of the basement.

They seemed completely hopeless, like waiting for death to embrace them.

The sound of some footsteps from the door side was enough to alert them all. They all got alarmed and stood up quickly scooting together. I got stuck between them.

Some men walked inside taking girls outside with them one by one. I felt a tight grip around my arm. I turned to see the same girl I consoled a minute ago.

" Help us". She whispered not turning her eyes from the men standing in front of us. I nodded.

A man approach us and grabbed my arm harshly. " I'm Grace". I said enough for someone to get sweat at my name. Everyone here knows that I belong to Hunter. And touching their king's property is like inviting to death.