Chapter Forty

§§Nile.

I walked down the stairs to the basement. The cold air hitting me hard in the face. For some reason I felt sorry for Matt. There was a small glow that shone under the door. He was awake.

I knocked on it. "Better hide your guns I am coming in." I unlocked the door, but didn't go in. I preferred me being alive than dead.

"This is how you treat people caging them in a small hell hole with water, food and heat provided. Pathetic."

"In my case I would have preferred it if you had been sent to the police, but Kyle likes it his way."

"I have been chained to the wall you damn bustard. I can't move freely." He tried coming for me.

"That I see." I stepped in and took the only seat available. Though it had been two weeks since the incident, I was still very conscious of my wound. It was healing but not as fast as I wanted it to.

"Donna's dead." There was no point of beating around the Bush.

He sighed. "I heard. There was a bit of pain laced in is voice, I chose to ignore it.

"Kyle has no use for you."

"Is he going to kill me like how he killed Jake?"

Startled I looked at him. "Jake killed himself. He shot himself and pressed on the breaks, ran into a tree and then the car blow up, Donna survived the accident but in a terribly critical condition."

"And now she is dead." He said deadpan.

"Yes, she is. You understand if we called the police, you will be arrested for destruction of private property."

"I didn't destroy no damned thing."

"The vases Matt, you destroyed the vases." I had broken two more, but it was easier putting the blame on him than actually paying.

"Breaking and entry and also for attempted theft." I finished.

"But I didn't steal anything." He got up angry.

I rolled my eyes. "You have been fired Matt, and if you are ever seen anywhere near here it is to the police straight."

"Tell me something I don't know Nile."

"You are free to go. No charges will be pressed aganist you."

He turned to look at me. Hope shone in his eyes. The corners of his lips trembled with a smile and his hands shook. "But I wanted to steal. I broke vases, I entered the building and his office without his knowledge, why?"

"It was his decision to let you go. Seems you were also fooled by Ian. He knew Donna was never going to survive." I stood up and left the door wide open for him. The keys to the chain that tied him on the table. His clothes, wallet and even gun there to.

"Nile." He called out to me and I turned.

The bullet rang before I had time to process all that was happening. I dodged diving to the left hitting my arm and causing blood to stain the bandage.

Shit.

I didn't want go back there again, the hospital was bad as it was. Maybe Noreen would attend to me. A smile lit my face.

"Come out Nile. I am going to kill you and that damned bustard Kyle. He was supposed to protect her, he was supposed to keep her safe."

"But she chose to play with the devil and got herself burnt and killed. I was the good guy, she went for toxic." It was in a spilt second that Matt turned and saw Kyle, but the quick succession of his bullets brought the man down.