Chapter 43 - "Sarcastic little brat."

[Cass's P.O.V] 

"You're sure you don't need me to come with you?" Dean asked cupping my face in his warm hands. 

"Yeah, I'm sure. Chase and I need to do this together and without anyone else."

"Okay. I'll see you tomorrow?" 

"Sure." 

Last night we'd spent a long while just laying on Dean's living room floor talking and kissing until I went home around nine. It was one of the best nights of my life.

He reached down and pressed a lingering kiss on my lips and walked towards Jay's car as I started on my way home. They couldn't drop me off because Al had to go to the Doctor's on the way, to pick up something for his dad I think.

Reaching home some time later, I headed upstairs and threw myself on my bed with a groan. Today was the day Chase and I were going to go through my family's things in the spare room. I honestly didn't know if I was ready for this but I knew it was something I had to do and I could only do it with Chase. Sighing, I got off my bed a few minutes later to freshen up in the bathroom and change into sweats and a t-shirt. 

Just as I walked out of my room, I heard the front door open and Chase call out that he was home. 

"Just give me ten minutes. I need to change and then we'll start okay?" 

I nodded and sat on the couch texting Riah, trying to distract myself the dark cloud looming over my head. When Chase came back, he went straight to the kitchen. I heard the sound of a drawer slamming shut before he stood in front of me holding the key we needed. 

"Come on," He sighed as lead the way up the stairs. There were four doors in the hallway - My bedroom, Chase's, the linen closet and the spare room. 

Chase turned the key and glanced back at me warily. When I nodded, he pushed the door opened and we were immediately assaulted by the dust that flew around. Everything in the room was covered in tarp so hopefully, nothing was damaged. 

Until Chase had moved here, my parent's things were in a storage facility in Jericho Valley. After I went to Juvie, he brought everything from the storage unit and anything that was connected to Cammie here and locked up the room only mentioning it to me the day I came here. 

I stood frozen in the doorway. Suddenly all I could hear were my parents on the nights they weren't too tired, telling me a bedtime story starring me as a superhero. Right after that it felt like a film was rolling in my head, showing me Cammie playing with the younger kids at the home, the day I yelled at a parent whose kid had tried to bully my little brother into handing over his light lunch - the cheapest things we could afford between Chase's job and my fighting. Cammie's scream as he-

"Cassie?" 

I blinked, coming out of my reverie before settling my sight on Chase who stood in the middle of the room. Both the windows were now open, to let in fresh air and get rid of some of the dust, I presume. 

I looked back at Chase and this time, observed him. There were slight bags under his eyes making me think that he hadn't been able to sleep last night either. My date yesterday had been an incredible distraction but Chase didn't have that luxury. He worked later than usual (actually worked and didn't use it as a lie, he'd promised) so that he could come home early today. I went to him and hugged him tightly. 

"We can do this together," He murmured before moving out of my arms a couple of seconds later and rubbing his eyes tiredly. He glanced at me for a second before walking to one of the tarps and yanking them off before tossing it aside. I followed his lead until we'd uncovered everything a few sneezes later.