Chapter 25 - "I'm Spiderman! I thought it was obvious."

[RECAP]

 Dean gave me a knowing look, "You're about to tell me what went wrong, aren't you?" 

I nodded. "That I am." 

                                 --------------------------------------------

 [Cass's P.O.V]  

"Everything was good for a couple of years... Occasionally I was given a pretty bad beating, but I was fine. Chase had gotten his job at the firm and Cammie," I paused to let out a small chuckle, making Dean look at me curiously, "Cam was this social butterfly of a boy. And he was smart, god he was a fucking genius and wise beyond his years but he was still a kid, ya know? To him, I was his superhero.  

He knew about the fighting and when I was around fourteen, I came home after I’d lost a match. He cried, Dean. My baby cried like he was the one in pain." I let out a small hiccup as I tried to hold back a sob, "He came to talk to me, a couple of hours after I got back home..." 

"Cassie, please stop. Please," My six year old brother looked at me with glassy eyes the exact shade of brown that mine were. 

"What do you mean?" I asked Cammie as I wiped away his tears with my thumb and tried to pull him into my lap. He didn't let me though. Careful not to jerk the mattress, Cammie moved away from me and sat on the ground. 

"You're hurt. You're hurting when you don't have to," Cam said as he wiped away some of the tears that had escaped his eyes. 

I looked at him, confused. What did he mean? As if he had read my mind, he spoke up. 

"You don't have to fight, Cass. Chase works hard and you can get a job at the diner or something... Please stop getting hurt." He started to cry again.  

My heart throbbed painfully at the sight of his tears. I reached out to run my hand through his soft dark hair.  

Chase and I hadn't told him but we weren't going to be okay for a while- the rest of this month at least. Chase's office had been having some kind of embezzlement scam going on and everyone's checks had been stalled until the investigation was over. 

To get a little extra cash today, I'd been in three fights - one more than my usual. The third one had been pretty bad. I winced as my stomach throbbed in pain. 

I wouldn't be able to rest easy knowing that Cammie was worried about me. He was someone who believed in doing anything for the people you love. That's how Chase and I had raised him. There was no way I would let Cam put himself in danger, which is something he would do if he thought it would save me somehow. The dark world I was a part of, was no place for someone as pure and untouched as him. If I had any say in it, he was going to stay that way.  

Immediately, I made up my mind. I knew what I was going to do. Ignoring the guilt I was feeling, for the first time ever, I lied to Cam. 

"I'm going to quit."  

His head shot up as he stared at me in shock, "Honest, Cass? Promise?" He looked so hopeful, and the guilt of lying to him weighed me down... But it was for his own good, for him. Everything I did was for him, so I nodded. 

"Promise." 

A toothy grin lit up his face, making me smile, as he wiped away his tears. Careful of my injuries, Cammie clambered over the mattress and threw his arms around my neck, kissing my cheek.