Chapter 18 - "I'm going to pretend you didn't just traumatize me"

[Cass’s P.O.V]

Being around Carter now, felt like we’d never been apart. Except for the fact that I didn’t feel the need to make out with him.

Dean finally stopped asking questions but he had his thinking expression on for a long time. If he knew what was good for him, he was going to keep his guesses to himself.

We were still sat in the room in the warehouse and we’d been here for a while now.

“So Cass… You’re friends with Dean, Al and Jay. Wow. That’s two more people you used to be comfortable around,” Carter looked seriously impressed and I rolled my eyes at him.

“Oh, we’re not her only friends,” Dean piped up.

“What?!” C’s eyes almost popped out of his head.

“Yep. She has two more friends. You remember Luke and Mariah?”

“Yeah, they’re cousins right?”

Dean nodded.

C turned to me, “Honestly though Cass… I’m glad you’re doing well.”

“Me too,” I shot him a smile.

“Oh, by the way, I know two people who can’t wait to see you.”

I frowned for a second then grinned, “Your parents?”

He nodded smirking, “Especially my dad.”

I laughed at this. Carter’s dad, James, was one of the most charismatic and flirty men I’d ever met. If he were about twenty years younger, I wouldn’t have bothered with Carter. I’m not even kidding.

He was even good looking, you know, for a guy in his early forties. But despite his flirting, he had an incredible and loving wife, Joanna, whom he loved just as much.

Whenever they visited Carter when we were in the Box (That’s what we called the juvie we were in), they’d insist on seeing me too.

They were the parental figures I haven’t had in a long time. I mean, of course I had Chase but he was more of a brother than a father, for which I’m thankful. I wouldn’t be able to deal with someone hovering over me.

“Let me guess, James has charmed his way into your heart,” Dean said with an amused expression.

I smirked at him, “Honestly, if I didn’t respect Joanna so much and he was a bit younger… Well, Carter here would've never had a taste of all this,” I pointed at myself.

Carter scowled in disgust, “Seriously Cass? That’s my Dad.”

I nodded with a mock-serious expression on my face, “He’s a DILF. But honestly, why didn’t you get any of that charisma?”

“A Dilf?” Dean asked, looking confused before he took a sip of water.

“Dad I’d Like to Fuck.”

Carter spluttered in shock and Dean spat out the water he’d been drinking.

I burst out laughing, “Oh hell that was fucking hilarious!”

“I’m going to pretend you didn’t just traumatize me Cass,” C shook his head violently as if trying to forget what I’d said.

Just as I was about to say something else, my phone rang and I answered it without looking.

“Hello?”

“Cassandra, mind telling me why you’re not in school right now?”

Fuck.