Chapter 50 - "Are you patronizing me?"

[Cass's POV]

"Good evening, Cassandra," Tabitha said when I picked up the phone.

"Hi."

"I assume you're not backing out of our deal." Oh hardy har har, you don't have to sound so fucking amused.

"You assume correctly."

"Good then. I hope you get your rest today because your first fight is tomorrow. You have the 11:45 slot. The best times are near midnight after all."

"Where?"

"The warehouse. That's where you'll normally fight. I might send you to an out of town location for one or two but don't worry, I'll give you a sufficient amount of warning."

"Of course."

"Are you patronizing me?" She asked, sounding a little pissed. Ooh, is her composure slipping?

"I would never," I replied as sarcastically as I could.

"Find me fifteen minutes before your fight. I sincerely hope you don't disappoint."

                                                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Where are you going, Cass?"

I flinched in surprise, I thought Chase was out with Grace.

"I didn't feel like staying in. What are you guys doing here?" The two of them were cuddled up on the couch watching a movie. The TV was frozen on a scene of someone throwing a plate at someone else. Seemed like fun.

"I didn't feel up to going out so we decided to watch a movie here instead," Grace answered. "You going anywhere specific?"

I shook my head before addressing Chase. "I don't know when I'll be back-"

"Late?"

I frowned. "Probably. Why?"

"Never mind. Continue."

"Right," I said, drawing out the 'I'. "So I'll be out, probably till late. Don't worry about me, I'm going to turn my phone off. I need peace and I'm going to use this week to get it."

"Okay. Be careful."

"I will. Oh, if I don't come home, I'll be staying at a friend's house."

"Which friend?"

I gritted my teeth as I caught sight of the clock reading 11:15 pm. "I don't know. Depends on whoever is closest."

He nodded. "Alright. Let me know?"

I agreed and just before leaving the house, I stuck my head back in.

"Remember guys - No glove, no love. I know why you asked if I'd be late." I shut the door, chuckling softly when I caught bits of Chase's reply.

                                                                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ten minutes later, I was in a room on the top floor of the warehouse with Tabitha and her body guard. 

"Be in the basement before they call you or the deal is void. Understood? I have a lot riding on this."

"So do I. You and your meat-head can leave now," I sneered.

"We're business partners, Winters. That's not very professional."

"And all this-" I waved to indicate the cheers and groans of the large audience from the floor below us, "-isn't very legal but you don't hear me complaining do you?"

She glared at me before shrugging it off. "Just be there, Storm." Now there's something I haven't been called in a long while. Tabitha walked away, her grumpy side-kick tailing her.

'Storm' used to be my name in the ring back in the day. I guess I had to take it on again, how else would someone realize it was me?

I pulled off my thin t-shirt and my jeans to reveal my spaghetti and shorts, an attire that wouldn't get in my way while I fought. In a small messenger bag, I'd packed some cover up foundation - in case of visible bruising - and a spare set of under clothes. I would be sweating through these in no time. From my jeans pocket, I took out my switch blade and slipped it into my right shoe. A lot of people came into the ring, guns blazing - not literally, guns weren't allowed - with their weapons drawn out and ready to use. My tactic was to knock it out of their hands as early as possible and kick it away before continuing. Those were the people who depended more on their little toys instead of their strategy and speed. I only used the knife as a last resort.

To win, the other person had to admit defeat.

The trick was to humiliate them just enough to know they had to save their remaining dignity. Push too far, and you'll get someone who has nothing to lose.

Once I made sure my hair was tightly tied up, I secured my 'mask'. It wasn't much of a mask really. I just wrapped two bandanas around my face - one on my forehead and a thinner one below my eyes but not blocking my nose - and knotted it tightly with my strong hair tie. Some people used costume masks or went without but the latter were only people who were either so arrogant about the power they held or those convinced of their invisibility.

Making sure my phone was switched off, I left the room and made it to the crowded 'arena'. A couple of jeers sounded when they caught sight of me but I ignored them and kept walking till I reached the make-shift stage. It was one they built the day of fights so if someone came by on other days, there would be no proof.

Barely two minutes had passed when a loud bell rang through the room.

"Gentlemen and ladies. Please welcome a crowd favorite, Flamethrower!" A deep voice boomed and a man about my height walked into the ring without a visible weapon. The crowd hollered but I scoffed. Flamethrower? Really? I mean sure, he dressed the part. He had flaming red hair and his well built but not very impressive body was clad in a garrish orange. Maybe that's how he won, he blinded his opponents.

"And here, is an old hat to the fighting rings of the county. She may not seem like a fighter to you but if you haven't seen her before, prepare yourself. Out to rain down on her competition, back in the ring, it's Storm!"

There were a few shouts of surprise but at least half the room seemed unimpressed. I glanced around as I walked into the ring in tune to the applause and met Tabitha's gaze.

Her gaze clearly telling me I had to give it my all.

Like I didn't know. Let the fight begin. I had people I loved to get back to.

                                                                       ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Let me know what you think of the chapter xD 

Also.. CONGRATS TO THE US FOR LEGALIZING SAME-GENDER MARRIAGE ALL OVER THE COUNTRY. Remember, this doesn't solve all the problems queer people face but it is a big step forward. *Throws rainbow glitter on everyone*