Chapter 1 - "I can hope your social skills have developed"

[A/N Pic to the side is Chase]

[Cassandra's P.O.V.]

"Oye! Get out of bed loser!"

I groaned as I opened my eyes. It was my second time waking up today. I'd woken up earlier, thanks to the dreams and fallen asleep again from exhaustion a little while later.

"I said up!" The announcement came and my bedroom door opened to reveal Chase. He grinned at me, as if waking me up was some accomplishment.

"Nice going, Chase. Some brother you are," I told him as I flung a pillow at his face. 

Having an older brother figure had its advantages and its disadvantages. Advantages? They’re protective and take care of you. Disadvantages? They’re annoying as hell.

He dodged it and smirked at me, "You're home now. I'm going to take advantage of it. You have school Cassie. Get up and if you're quick, I might drive you."

He left, shutting my door behind him. I glanced at my alarm clock through blurry sleepy eyes, to see the time. It was 6:55 am and school started around eight O’clock. I guess it was about time I woke up.

It was the beginning of a new day.

 After I managed to rub the sleep out of my eyes, I stumbled to my bathroom, fighting a yawn and looked in the mirror.

Well you certainly look like crap, I thought to myself. 

I brushed my teeth, along with the rest of my morning rituals and studied myself in the mirror. My olive skin was clear enough, except for the scar that marred the side of my forehead. It would never go away but my hair hid it easily enough.  My hair looked like a rat's nest, so I brushed it out. Except for my chapstick, my face was bare of any make-up. I dug around in my closet, pulling out my dark wash skinny jeans and a light grey Breaking Benjamin T-Shirt. After looking around for another five minutes, I found my black hoodie and got dressed.

I laced up my navy blue converse and looked in the mirror to see the end result. I could just pull the hood up and no one would notice me. I would blend into the background - just the way I liked it. After grabbing my IPod and phone, I left my room.

 As I entered the kitchen, I inhaled the delicious scent of coffee and sighed. I was a monster without coffee at least twice a day. Well, more of a monster than usual that is.

“Good Morning. Are you ready for school?” The twenty-three year old asked me, as he set a cup of the dark brown liquid on the breakfast bar, where I sat myself. I grunted and pulled the cup closer to myself to take a sip. Perfect.

Chase was busy moving around the kitchen, making his own breakfast. Having nothing better to do, I just sat there and watched him work.

He wasn’t technically my brother, which must've been obvious from the clear lack of resemblance between us. My olive skin, brown hair and brown eyes versus his pale skin, jet black hair and blue-grey eyes. He was my “adoptive guardian” but he was obviously too young to be my dad, so I called him my brother and I was his little sister. He worked at some big financial firm or bank which was apparently a big deal. It didn't really make a difference to me. I’d seen him as a moronic older brother for nearly half my life and it was going to stay that way.

“Well school starts in about-,“ he stopped to check his watch, “twenty minutes. It’s a five minute drive, so we better get going. You’ll need to get your schedule and books and shit, so get up.”

I finished my coffee and sighed, “Alright. What’s the name of the school again?”

“Greater Woodlands High”

“What?” The hell kind of name was that?

“Yeah well, don’t look at me like that,” He frowned at me as he packed his food in a paper bag, “It’s the only public high school in town and I didn’t start it. Now shut your face, we have to leave.” 

I decided that complaining would do me no good. Anyways, I would’ve never gone to a private school. Those places were a bit too rich for my blood. I wouldn’t be caught dead in one of those preppy uniforms.

We got in the car, where I proceeded to annoy him until he eventually got pissed off.

“Damn it Cass. Quit bugging me,” He snapped at me.

“Aww… Is that anyway to treat a loved one?” I teased.

“Who said I love you?” he said, but when I looked at him, I saw the corner of his lips turn up slightly. The asshole missed me. Of course he did.

“I sort of missed you,” I told him, just as we pulled up in front of the school. It wasn't exactly small but it wasn't huge either. The pale, dull blue building was big enough for the town’s average teens. There were people everywhere, in the lot and entering the school.

“Okay now-” He started, unbuckling his seatbelt and turning in his seat to look at me, “Be good-“

“Aren’t I always?”

“- no, now shut up. Take care, maybe make some friends–“

“What if I don’t want to?”

“You rarely do but I can hope your social skills have developed.”

“Waste of time and hope really.”

“Oh for the love of – “ He broke off, looking slightly annoyed.

“Alright, don’t worry,” I started, “I’ll try and be good and maybe not ignore all the people, but only maybe. “

“Good enough for me,” He shrugged and leaned over to hug me. He smelled faintly of coffee and his chocolate scented Axe. It was a familiar and comforting scent.

“And for the record, I sort of missed you too,” Chase said, his eyes twinkling as he pulled back from me.

“What time do you get off work?” I asked him, picking up my small bag off the floor, with a hand waiting on the door handle.

“About five thirty, so I’ll be home maybe around six. You have your key right?” I nodded, so he continued, “If you manage to not piss anyone off, get a ride home, otherwise walk. But call me when you get home safe alright?”  

“Okay.”

I’d been in town for about a week and had spent half the time walking around the town, to get a feel for the place. I knew my way around. It would take about twenty minutes to get back home on foot.

 I got out of the car and shut the door just as he yelled, “Good luck!”

I waved at him that I’d heard and turned towards the school. 

I let out a sigh and looked around at all the teenagers walking past. Pulling my hood up, I walked towards the entrance. 

                                                    -----------------X--------------X-----------------------X-------------------

And here's the first chapter. It'll get interesting soon enough, this book's a baby. Next update if I get at least 1 read on this chapter. :)

~ DeadGirlTalking <3

[Additional A/N 12/6/14

So, I've changed my style of writing but only slightly. It doesn't make a big difference to the overall plot but just thought I'd let you know]