Chapter 47 - "Because it hurts"

[Cass's POV] 

It had been two days since Landon went missing and one since I'd called Tabitha. I should have known it was her plan all along. We'd under-estimated her big time.

After thinking long and hard, I saw that there was no other plausible scenario that would have kept the Bolton brothers safe other than my involvement. But it still pissed me off that I hadn't seen it earlier. 

She would've won either way - if I hadn't fought so hard to keep Dean safe, she would put him in the ring but because I had, she could put me instead. 

Fuck. 

                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Al and Jay didn't approach me at all during the day. I assumed Dean had called and explained what had happened. It didn't matter, I needed the space anyways. 

Riah was off sick, she was a good friend but I was glad she wasn't at school. It all got a bit much sometimes and that was when I preferred being by myself. Luke however, had not gotten the message. 

"Hey, why are you alone?" He asked, appearing out of nowhere to walk me to English class. 

I shrugged. "Didn't feel like having company." 

"Did you and Bolton have a falling out? He hasn't been at school lately and you aren't talking to Alec and Jason." 

God what was this? A game of who wants to be a fucking millionaire? He'd asked one question too many for my current limit.

"None of your business, Hill. You can leave me now," I said, my teeth clenched so tightly that it hurt my jaw. 

He raised his hands in mock surrender and turned to go the other way. "Alright, I know when I'm not wanted." 

I rolled my eyes. It didn't seem like he did most days. 

Sighing, I shoved open the class door and waved at Joey as I passed by him talking to one of my class mates. It's probably weird that I knew almost no one's name. Oh well.

Joey waved back with a grin before leaning over his teacher's desk and rummaging in a drawer before picking out and handing me a snickers bar. 

"What's this for?" I frowned at him, peeling open the wrapper and taking a bite. 

"You looked grumpy," He justified before turning back to classmate-whose-name-I-do-not-know.

I rolled my eyes and moved to go to my seat but stilled. Dean was sitting in his usual spot, looking at me expectantly. 

The thought of faking sick and leaving was extremely tempting but I knew it would be a childish move. Sucking in a deep breath, I slipped into my seat and faced ahead, not even glancing at him. I may understand why he said what he did but it neither justified his actions nor hurt me any less.

"Cass?" He whispered, sounding wary. Good. He let out a sigh. "Are you going to ignore me?" 

"English class doesn't seem like a very good place to talk, does it?" I asked stiffly, staring ahead before finishing up the chocolate and crushing the candy wrapper.

 I wouldn't be able to meet his eyes without forgiving him almost immediately. I wouldn't forget it, not for a long time, but I would forgive. Unfortunately, if I had to go through my plan of getting back into fighting, I'd have to distance myself from him. At least until the whole situation was sorted out. Because if I didn't, then I'd have to lie to his face, multiple times. And I couldn't lie like that to someone I care so deeply about.