Chapter 27 - "The kindness of strangers will never cease to amaze me."

The pain was so blinding I couldn't move my body. I looked over to the small figure sprawled out on the ground a few feet away from me and the only thing I could think was, “Please be alive.”                                       ------------------------------------------

The glaring lights hurt my eyes making me shut them almost immediately. I felt numb at first but slowly, feeling was returning to my body. Along with the feeling, came the pain.  

I felt like someone had run me over with their SUV but my mind was blissfully blank for the initial moments after I regained consciousness. Of course, that was when I registered the annoying beeps coming from nearby.  

I decided to form a list of information in my head to prevent feeling overwhelmed. Now, what was the last thing I could remember?  

Came home after a brutal fight. 

Cooked for Cammie. 

Tyler called to warn me. 

The break-in. 

Cam- 

Oh fuck! My eyes shot open and I heard the beeps speed up. A familiar warm hand on my wrist calmed down my panicking. 

 I looked to the side to find that it was Chase who had a grip on my wrist. 

"Cassie, breathe. Calm down," he instructed, rubbing small circles on my hand with his thumb. 

As I obeyed him, I took in his appearance. Chase was wearing wrinkled clothes, his dark hair was unkempt as opposed to his usual hair and his eyes were bloodshot with bags under them. 

I gulped the excess saliva in my mouth before asking the question I dreaded knowing the answer to. 

"Cammie? Is he..." I couldn't bring myself to complete the sentence. 

Chase dropped into the chair next to the bed and ran his hand through his hair with a sigh. 

"He's alive." 

That one sentence almost made me sigh in relief before I realized that there was an unsaid 'but' in his answer. 

"But?" I prompted. He shook his head before moving closer to me and gently petting my head. As he did so, I heard the crinkle of a bandage that I hadn't felt,  on the side of my forehead. I pushed it out of my mind as I waited for an answer.  

"He's alive but in a coma," Chase told me, his eyes starting to water slightly but he sniffed them back as he continued, "He's been in a coma for thirty six hours." 

Thiry six? But then, "How long have I been unconscious?" I voiced the rest of my thought.  

Chase gulped, "Close to forty two. You didn't wake up even once since I found you. Cass, tell me what happened. Please. I came home in a panic to find both of you bleeding and unconscious on the floor." 

As I understood where he was coming from, I wasn't pissed that he asked me despite the fact that I'd just woken up five minutes ago.   

If we were in each other's place, I wouldn't have been in half the state he was... I'd be so much worse. 

But before telling him, I had to know something. 

 "Where is he? Why aren't you with him?" I couldn't help but a small note of accusation slip into my question.