Chapter 44 - "This was not going to end well."

[Cass's POV]

All four of us woke up late the next day and decided to take the day off instead of going to school or work late. Dean and Grace spent the entire day with us and feeling emotionally exhausted, I knew Chase and I were extremely grateful for their presence.

The next few days I spent catching up with Riah and Luke feeling guilty for sort of ditching them for so long. For some reason though, I felt like I was missing something important the past few days but I couldn't be sure what.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Where's Dean?"

Al and I were sitting in the library, our books scattered on the table between us. Jay had to talk to his Math teacher about something and told us he'd be late but Dean hadn't shown up today. No text, nothing.

Al looked up from his biology homework to frown at me. "Didn't he tell you? Something about his birth-giver visiting."

I stiffened and counted the days in my head. It was the eighteenth - just over ten days since we talked to Tabitha.

Fuck. That's what I forgot. How could I do that?

"What is it? Was I not supposed to tell you that?" Al asked, watching me cautiously as I rushed to pack my things. I stuffed the last book in my bag and shook my head.

"No, he was supposed to say something. I'll see you later, alright?"

He nodded cautiously and I patted his back on my way out.

"Woah. What's the rush?"

I stepped around Jay to avoid knocking him over. "I've gotta go. See you later," I called out behind me at the confused boy as I walked away quickly. It was nearly the end of the day and I was only going to miss Arts so I exited the building without preamble. Dialing Dean's number for the third time today, I let it ring for a minute before cancelling the call. He still wasn't picking up.

Why the hell hadn't he mentioned anything to me? I knew I had to get to his house as quickly as possible. I shifted the bag so that it crossed over my body and stretched for a quick minute before breaking out into a run.

A while later, I sucked in a heavy breath and slowed to a walk as I turned onto Dean's street. Wiping some of my sweat off, I pulled out the small bottle of water from my bag, finished its contents and tossed the empty bottle in a trash can as I passed it.

I went up the driveway and rang the doorbell. Raised voices got louder for a minute before someone's footsteps sounded on the other side of the door.

"Cass? Is everything alright?" Mr. Bolton opened the door looking exhausted and dead on his feet but there was a glimmer of determination in his eyes.

"Is Dean in?" I asked, getting straight to the point. A small smirk appeared on his face, a feature both his sons seemed to have inherited.

"I told him he should've said something to you. Yeah, he's here. So is his mother," He answered, stepping back to allow me in.

"Birthgiver," I corrected absentmindedly as I passed him and went straight into the living room where Tabitha and Dean seemed to be having a stand-off.

"Dean?"

He looked towards me immediately, and I almost stepped back in surprise at the strength of his glare but held my ground.

"What are you doing here?"

I raised an eyebrow at him. "I could ask you the same thing."

"I'm busy right now. I'll call you later."