13

Mal's outfit ^^^

Mal's outfit ^^^
...

"Bass, Gophers, today's challenge is a true summer camp experience. A canoe trip. You'll be paddling your canoes across the lake... to Boney Island! When you get there, you must portage your canoes to the other side of the island, which is about a two-hour hike through treacherous, dense jungle," Chris explains.

"We've gotta pour what?" Geoff asks confusingly.

"Portage."

"Dude, walk with your canoe," I tell him.

"When you arrive at the other end of the island, you'll build a rescue fire that will be judged by me. The first team to paddle home and return their canoes to the beach is the winner of invincibility! Oh, wait! One more thing I should mention. Legend has it, if you take anything off the island, you'll be cursed forever! Bass, since there are 7 of you left, there will be one group of three."

"Hey, Dj!" I wave to him. "Wanna be partners?"

"Sure!" He answers politely.

I join Dj and we make small conversation while we wait for others to pair up. I think about telling him about Duncan, but I decide against it. Dj and I have gotten closer these past few weeks. He was one of the first people I talked to when I arrived on the island. We both got each other out of some tough situations, but I'm not going to spill about my relationship issues. If word gets around camp that Duncan and I kissed, it'll for sure be used against me. Do you realize what happened the last time we all let our guard down and showed our weaknesses? Chris totally used them against us and made a challenge out of it. I was in the bottom four, and I'm not letting that happen again. I also don't know If I can even trust Duncan. If I fall for a guy who's just using me to get ahead in this competition, I'd be devastated. I've already fallen, and if I want to keep from sinking even deeper, I need to protect myself.

I look at Geoff who I know is dying to be on Bridgette's team, but she gives him the cold shoulder. Poor Geoff looks like a lost puppy, he's got it bad. I don't blame him, Bridgette is gorgeous! It's just that Geoff has no idea what to say to her and he makes a complete fool of himself everytime.

"We should invite him over," I tell Dj while gesturing towards Geoff.

"Yeah, you're right. Hey, Geoff! Wanna join me and Mal?"

"Excellent!" He agrees.

...

We're finally on our canoe, and maybe I should've joined Bridgette and Courtney. I like Dj and Geoff, but Dj looks like he's about to puke, and Geoff is fishing for advice for him and Bridgette. Bridgette is my friend, but I don't know if she'd like me giving advice to Geoff on how to pursue her.

"Yo, do canoes flip over a lot?" DJ asks.

"No, you're thinking kayaks. Unless we hit some rough water," Geoff answers.

Ugh, now why would he say that?

"Water can get... Rough?" DJ asks with his voice getting shakey.

"Oh yeah. Sometimes it can get totally radical out there!"

This is going to be a long day.

...

We're finally on our way to our challenge, except I'm doing all the work. Dj and Geoff are busy gossiping and trying to figure out Geoff's relationship problems.

"Dang, dude. That is so bad, we need a new word for how bad that is," Dj replies to Geoff. "See, dating's like feeding a bunny. You want the bunny to come to you, so you don't make any sudden moves. Here bunny, bunny, bunny. You drop a heart-shaped, handmade clay bowl on a bunny, and the bunny's gonna run, man. You feelin' me?"

Terrible advice.

"So I screwed up?" Geoff asks.

"You screwed up, dude."

"What do you think, California?" He asks me.

"Hmm, I think you guys should help row this canoe."

"Oh," Dj replies. "You're right. Sorry, Mal."

...

"Yo, California! You good?" Duncan asks me.

We finally made it to the island, and not only are my arms burning from hauling Dj and Geoff across the lake by myself, but this place is really scary! I swear I saw a human skull just moments ago, hence the name 'Boney Island.'

"I'm fine, just a little tired. And this place is so creepy."

"Yeah, I tripped over a human hand back there. I just want to finish this challenge so we can leave this place," Courtney says.

"Guys," I say while stopping in my tracks.

We're at a standstill. The other team hasn't arrived yet, but there are two trails with no signs. We could go left, it's a straighter path, but right has a wider path.

"Which way are we gonna go?" Harold asks.

"Right. Definitely right," Courtney says.

"Yeah," I agree after thinking about it. "I say right."

"I don't know. I think we should take the one on the left," Geoff suggests.

"The right trail is wider," I reply.

"What are you looking at?" Bridgette asks Geoff and sighs.

Poor Geoff looks humiliated, but we don't have time for this. We all make our way down the right path. We have to hurry, I can see the other team approaching. Luckily they make their way down the other path.

...

We were making good time, but suddenly I feel the back of our canoe drop. I trip, and only Dj is holding up his end of the boat.

"Geoff!" Bridgette exclaims. "Mal! Are you ok?"

"I'm fine, just a little scrape. Geoff, are you ok? What happened?"

"My leg! I'm down! I'm down! Oh, it's so unfair! Why did this have to happen now? Oh! Why? Why?! You've gotta go on without me!" He groans.

"No, we're not doing that!" I exclaim.

"We're not leaving any man behind! Not on my watch!" Dj says.

"Ok, let's all calm down. We need to start the campfire so we can make it back to Chris and win this challenge," I tell everybody. "Dj, can you carry Geoff on your back?"

"Yep! Hop on, buddy."

"Ok. Now come on, we can do this thing!"

...

We did it! We actually did it. We might have lost the campfire part of the challenge, but we made it back to camp first. I'm honestly just relieved right now. We won the challenge and now we have immunity for the week. Meaning we all get to stay and the Gophers have to send someone home! God, I hope it's Heather, but I doubt it. I hate to admit it, but she's a strong competitor... But that doesn't mean she's going to win. That money is mine!

"The Bass are the winners!" Chris announces.

We all cheer while the Gophers look pissed. Sorry Leshawna, sorry Gwen, but we needed this. We've lost too many challenges already, and I'm tired of voting people off. I didn't mind voting off Ezekiel of course, but losing Eva, Tyler, even Katie, it hit us hard. This challenge started off a mess, but in the end, we came together as a team and we won. Let's just hope we can keep this going.

...