Chapter 11

"Jeongin?"

  The said boy looked at him, a terrified expression on his face. It was noticeable that he was scared but mostly confused. The young boy formed a fist with his hand and rubbed his eyes, just to be sure that he was not seeing things. But when his friend did not disappear again just like he did a few years ago, he exhaled.

  "H-Hyung?" he stuttered, looking from Jisung to Changbin and vice versa. What is happening, Jisung thought as he turned to Changbin.

  "He can see us?" that question was rhetorical. Both of them knew that Jeongin could see them. But that wasn't the thing that made Jisung feel frightened. Why were they here? Is Jeongin okay? Numerous questions were running through Jisung's mind and he was hoping that he will get an answer to them as soon as possible.

  "It's rare but it can happen. Do you two happen to ... know each other?" Changbin turned towards him, eyeing him from head to toe to see any kind of reaction. Jisung nodded but before he could answer, Jeongin fell to the ground, heavy sobs escaping his mouth. The room that was once dead silent turned into a room full of sorrow.

  "H-Hyung ... " Jeongin cried out, slowly looking up at the angels. His expression was unreadable but the only emotion Jisung (and Changbin, too) could recognise was unhealed pain. "Why did you ... why did you leave us."

  Jeongin kept on crying and Jisung would never judge him for doing so. His friend never recovered from the pain they were put through. The angel did not say a word, he was just staring at his friend, biting his lip to prevent himself from crying. He thought Jeongin will not be able to say any more things but the opposite is true. The question Jeongin asked hit too close to home and Jisung couldn't hold it in anymore.

  "Are you happy out there?"

  With that being said out loud, Jisung collapsed on the ground, totally forgetting the reason he was here. He even forgot that he was dead now that he stood in front of his friend. Jeongin moved closer to the angel, scanning Jisung's face, knowing damn hell he ain't dreaming. Changbin, who was watching this whole scenario intensify in front of his eyes, decided it would be better for him (and the two of them, too) to leave. So, he did.

  Once the door closed, Jisung looked up and tried to hug the younger, his arms immediately falling through his friend's body, as if he was never even there. He heard a shaky breath as he straightened his back and realized that a hug won't be good as an apology. Especially in this heartbreaking situation.

  "I'm so sorry, Jeongin. I apologise for leaving you all behind," he cried even harder than before, feeling the walls he has been building in the past year slowly crumbling and falling like a waterfall. Naturally and uncontrollably.

  "Don't apologize for being in pain. Yes, it hurt us, too. But I will be at ease if you will answer my question from before." Jeongin looked at him, desperate. Eyes red and swollen from the crying, hands trembling and visibly cold. The once cheerful kid with braces Jisung knew turned into someone who was becoming a man. He looked stronger than before and yet he seemed so weak. All of this in a year.

  "I-I think ... " he stuttered as he tried to look for the right words to say without hurting the feelings of the younger. He was also trying not to choke on his tears. "I think I am happier now. I feel ... free."

  Jeongin nodded, averting his gaze as if deep in thought.

  "Listen, Jeongin — "

  "What are you doing here? Are you someone's guardian angel? Are you my guardian angel? Who was that guy before? Is he your friend?" Jeongin suddenly overwhelmed him with many questions, causing Jisung to erupt in giggles. How typical of him.

  "I am no one's guardian angel," he snickered, ready to ruffle Jeongin's hair. His hand stopped midway as he slowly realised and pulled his hand back, awkwardly smiling afterwards. "I am here to lead people to heaven and determinate whether they deserve it or not — wait since I am here ... are you okay, Innie?"

  The younger furrowed his brows, not understanding the question Jisung asked. As the angel was about to explain what he meant, Jeongin answered: "Oh ... I am fine but I suppose you must be here for my mom. She got sick recently and it has not been looking good."

  Jisung sadly smiled. Jeongin's relationship with his mom has always been tough. Lots of the time, the younger slept over at his house because he got into an argument with her. He loved her — of course, he did. And she loved him, as well. The thing was that there were certain aspects that his mom wasn't able to understand. One of them was his love for music. When he told his mom about it for the first time and explained all his plans of becoming an artist and making her proud, she threw a tantrum. Education was very meaningful for her and she has always wanted her son to grow up and become a lawyer or a doctor.  But that wasn't something Jeongin wanted to do. He just went with her opinions and ideas, so she could be happy. So after knowing his full story, Jisung couldn't say anything else but that he was sorry.

  "It's fine. It had to happen one day, I just didn't imagine it would be that soon."

  After a long conversation that occurred between them, there was this one concern that appeared in Jisung's head. He was hesitant to ask about it, afraid to hear what the answer to that question would be. An image appeared in his head, replacing the bugging question. It was a face. One he would recognise anywhere and anytime. His mom. It was a flashback from that night, the terrified expression engraved into his brain.

  "How is mom doing?" he took all his courage and asked. The younger seemed taken aback by the question, definitely not expecting it.

  "Oh, Uhm ... I don't know. My dad says he sees her in church sometimes but personally, I haven't seen her ever since that day."

  Jisung nodded, not satisfied with that answer but there was nothing he could do about it. He gave him a miserable smile and the doors suddenly opened, revealing the other angel, the piles of paper still resting in his hands.

  "Is your mom here?" Changbin asked with an unreadable expression and monotonous voice. Jeongin nodded and pointed downstairs. Jisung gave him a scared expression upon realising his mom is home and could've heard everything that was said.

  "Don't worry," Changbin said, "She wouldn't even be able to hear an explosion now that we are here."

  "Okay."

  That was all Jisung could say. So many things changed — things he might have not been ready for. As they went downstairs, Jisung carefully looked around, still not recognising his surroundings which made him think that his parents had either bought a new house or completely reconstructed it. There was a familiar feel to it but it looked nothing like what Jisung remembers.

  "My mom's there." Jeongin interrupted the silence and pointed towards one of the downstairs doors. They exchanged looks and both of the angels stepped into the room, catching the youngest boy off guard as they went through the walls. It somehow looked crazy to him.

"Who was that?" Changbin asked once they returned to their room. Jisung hoped the latter won't ask that question — he hoped that he will forget about the whole day the moment they step into this building.

  "My childhood friend."

  "And I assume you remember him because something happened during the exam, right?"

  Jisung tried to not look at him because he didn't want him to see his tears glistening in his eyes. He felt weak. Today was extremely exhausting. Mainly emotionally. Meeting one of his closest friends was something he would never be prepared for. Not to mention the fact that Jeongin saw them even though he shouldn't have.

  Before the younger could process things, he was already sitting on the floor, tears spilling from his eyes. In less than a second, Changbin was by his side, wrapping his hands around his friend. They sat in silence, although the faint knocking on the door went unnoticed to both of them.