Chapter 34

"I am fine, really." Hyunjin chuckled as he sat upright. He woke up a few minutes ago and Jisung was losing his mind as all of his friends were nowhere to be found and he simply had no idea what to do with the boy and how to possibly ease the pain he must be going through. Tears were streaming down his face because he hated the fact Hyunjin was hurting.

"You can't lie then why do you keep on saying you are fine when you are certainly not!" Jisung screamed frantically as he carefully hit the devil's chest with his hands, frowning in the process.

"I am not lying. I am really fine."

"God damn, Hyunjin!" Jisung screamed once more and the devil raised his brows, surprised that Jisung just blaspheme. "Please, just once. Don't say this to Seungmin at least. It will break his heart."

"Did he...?" Hyunjin questioned, letting the question disappear in the air in case the pure-blooded angel had not mentioned their little secret of being childhood friends turned enemies who actually love each other. Perfect trope for a movie but a sad aspect of their own reality. Jisung raised his brow so the devil concluded that their secret is still, in fact, a secret.

"Tell us that you two love each other?" Jisung blurted out and when he saw Hyunjin's eyes go wide, he shook his head. "No, he didn't. But from the way he acted towards you since he found you there, it's actually pretty obvious."

Hyunjin sighed and shook his head before massaging his temples. "How much time do I have left?"

"What? Don't you dare say that! You aren't going to leave us anytime soon, understood?! You will be with us for the next hundreds — no, thousands of years and —"

"Jisung..." the devil interrupted him with sadness evident in his voice, as he caressed the younger's arms. Jisung looked up at him with eyes full of agony that Hyunjin returned almost immediately. "You know that the infection has spread and I can feel it... It's all going to end soon."

Jisung found himself crying even more when the devil smiled lightly at him as if he had already accepted his own fate and decided not to fight against it. But Jisung wanted him to. He wanted him to fight against his own fate, he did not want his friend to leave him yet. There were still many things the devil had to do here. But once he said those exact words in his head, he realised how hypocritical he has sounded. And sudden guilt washed over him as he realised that he truly was a hypocrite.

"Hyunjin-ah..." he cried out.

"Promise me you will take good care of Seungmin. Of all of them and that you will defeat the actual evil here and finally set peace. It will make me extremely proud," he smiled again, watching the crying boy in front of him whose head was put in his hands as he sobbed into them. "Yah, don't cry."

"How can I not!" he wiped the tears away with a small chuckle leaving his lips.

"Ask Minho out."

"W-What?"

The devil chuckled. "Ask him out. It's obvious you two like each other, it's actually the first time I have ever seen Minho so head over heels for someone. Don't waste your chance just like I did, hm?"

"I-I..." Jisung stuttered as he was caught off guard by the sudden topic. He scratched his neck as he looked at the older boy in front of him while slightly shaking his head before averting his gaze to his lap. "I don't know what I am feeling. I have never been in a proper relationship that would last over three months in my human life and I don't know if I would be able to maintain one in this life either. Also, with all the mess around us right now I don't even want to start dating him. I was basically destined to die."