Chapter 24

Days have passed and there was still no trace of Hyunjin. Jisung expected him to return shortly after the day he left. But he did not. Jisung even asked Chan and Changbin if they had any information about his current location or his wellbeing. Both of them said no and told him, that even they are looking for some assurance that the son of Satan is safe and sound wherever he was.

  "Try to ask Minho, he might know more than we do," he remembers Chan saying.

  Of course, he did not ask him. After the time they have spent together in the room where Seungmin led them to, the younger decided to simply avoid him. And it seemed like it suited the devil, too, because he never initiated any kind of interaction between them again. Jisung felt grateful for that but at the same time, annoyed for some reason.

  Another option was Seungmin since he was one of the last people Hyunjin has talked to privately before leaving. But as if his mentor knew what topic he was about to bring up, he disappeared from his sight faster than the light. Jisung couldn't do anything else but roll his eyes at his friend's childish actions but he decided to respect his decision of not talking about the devil.

  Jisung lied on his bed, looking at the ceiling, feeling bored. He had nothing to do and it was driving him crazy. His duties with Changbin got quickly cancelled since Jeongin's mother got, thankfully, better. The youngest cried on his shoulders when he found out the news and Jisung genuinely felt happy for the Yang family. But there was no case they could take care of because all of them were already occupied by others so Seungmin just told them to wait for a few days, that a case suitable for the two of them will come up soon.

  Changbin was annoyed, too. All of his friends were on their separate duties, Hyunjin was nowhere to be found and Jisung looked very gloomy. And after knowing his past, the older had no idea how to talk to him in certain situations even though Jisung guaranteed him that he had no triggers and that he can freely talk to him. So the two of them were lying on their beds, bored to death. Quite literally.

  "Do you know how you died?" Jisung suddenly asked, his voice echoing in the quiet room. Changbin turned his head and saw the latter looking at him with his head turned as he still lied on his back. At that moment, it was pretty obvious Jisung was out of it, too.

  "No," the older said and Jisung just nodded.

  "And you don't want to find out the reason?"

  Jisung turned around so he was lying on his hips now, his right hand supporting his hand as he kept on watching Changbin's side profile while highly anticipating his answer.

  Changbin thought about it, before shrugging. "I only know that there is written that I have died of natural causes in my files. I have no idea if that is true and I'm not sure if I even want to find out,"

  Jisung nodded, understanding. If he himself had an option to not remember any bits of his life or at least the way he died, he would probably not want to know it either. It was just very complicated and all those moments he has spent with his family and friends still lingered in his mind like fingerprints. And it was so hard to forget — and now that Jeongin and Felix were part of his life (again) it was even harder. But he was happy. He felt free and still had the other two by his side which managed to calm him down at certain times. Felix wasn't still able to wrap this whole madness around his head. However, Jeongin, on the other hand, fully accepted whatever was happening to them. It was not like he hasn't seen such things before.

  He brought his hands up to his neck and rubbed the triquetra pendant on the necklace Changbin gave him before his thoughts wandered off to his friend again. He took off the necklace and raised it above his head, examining it. Whenever he felt weird inside, he remembered the gesture and kind words Changbin gave him along with the necklace. He turned his head towards Changbin before deciding to speak up again.