Chapter 17

Jisung was sitting across Seungmin, the enormous wooden table being the only thing in between them. Jisung invited him to the library and came up with an excuse that he wants to spend more time with his mentor as a way of showing his gratitude for helping him out during the preparations for the exam. This wasn't a lie because Jisung was truly grateful for all the things Seungmin has done for him but this whole meeting had only one purpose — to analyze his actions and get useful information out of him.

  Pretty friendly meeting without any bad intentions, right?

  He wanted to bring oak branches with him but Chan convinced him that it was a bad idea and that he should not even try it.

  Jisung was sitting right in front of him, watching every move of his, analysing his body language — the way he reacted to certain topics, the way he reacted to people who passed by their table and gave them side looks because it was not a usual occurrence. Pure blooded angel having an actual conversation with a first-year angel, smiling here and there. One thing that Jisung noticed as time passed by was that the latter dropped the formality. Seungmin no more called him by his full name and treated him like a business partner — he began to call him by his first name and act less stern around him. The younger has never seen his mentor this happy, it looked like he started to treasure him as his friend. Someone he cared for and that warmed Jisung's heart.

  At that moment, Jisung decided to ask about a topic that might have been sensitive for the boy. But to Jisung's surprise, he answered the question without any problems. He asked about his parents and how has his life been so far.

  "They are more of people that watch over me and make sure I don't get into trouble rather than parents."

  He seemed so emotionless talking about his parents. Jisung felt sorry for the boy. Compared to his own parents, who were so kind to everyone and always ready to help those in need, Seungmin's parents were really ... He did not even know how to describe them. They reminded him of his aunt and uncle. Both of them were always so busy and never had time for their children which caused the kids to completely detach from them and never see them as parents ever again. And Jisung feels like it has happened to Seungmin as well — but he's sceptical if the angel ever loved them at all.

  "Were you happy as a child?" Jisung asked gently, hoping to not invade his privacy but on the other hand, if Seungmin was not comfortable telling him these things he wouldn't share them. As the question left the brunette's mouth, his mentor sadly smiled and connected their eyes. His eyes were grey, not icy blue. They weren't the colour the angel usually has in his eyes when he feels excited or happy, they were grey. And Jisung thought he hit the jackpot but his eyes turned to his brownish colour as fast as they turned grey.

  "Depends on what is your definition of happiness," Seungmin voiced out as he started fiddling with his fingers. Jisung has never seen him look this vulnerable. "I was happy. I had friends who were by my side all the time. It's just that I wasn't cheerful whenever my parents were around. Sorry to say this but they were there ... physically, but never emotionally, if you get what I mean,"

  Jisung nodded even though he didn't get what he meant, yes, he understood it but he never experienced such a feeling. He was happy when his parents weren't around but he was even happier when they were around. But he tried to imagine himself in the angel's shoes. If he never had someone to talk to, someone who would tightly hug him and tell him they would never let him go. So that's what Jisung did. He carefully wrapped his hands around the boy's shoulders as if he was made out of porcelain and any sudden move would break him into pieces. The latter was surprised when Jisung hugged him. He had no idea what to do with his hands, so he just let them fall on the sides of his body as he let himself be hugged by the younger.