Chapter 16

"What are you doing here, boys?"

  A voice from behind the door said and Hyunjin's rumbling was the last thing he heard before he was pulled under the table by no one other than Minho himself. He heard more voices outside before the devil closed the drawer shut and put his hand over Jisung's mouth to prevent him from talking and giving away their hiding spot. The angel was tightly gripping the journal, his heart beating numerous miles per second.

  The door opened and Jisung pressed his body against Minho's as if hoping they would simply disappear or be invisible that way. The older still had his hand over the latter's mouth but Jisung did not mind. It was probably better that way since Jisung would probably expose their position because of his heavy breathing.

  Footsteps echoed through the whole room and they were getting closer and closer. Then they suddenly stopped right in front of the table they were hiding under. Jisung waited. He did not know what for, just something — something that would signal that they've been caught or that nothing has been exposed and they won't get punished. But there was just a silence that was driving him insane. And judging by the way Minho pressed his hand against his face, he could recognise that the devil was not calm either.

  "It's a bit messy here," Mrs Kim said after a while of torturing silence as she was (most likely) looking around the room and over-analysing what felt off place here. Her white high heels were the only thing Jisung could see at the moment. So he closed his eyes to not see anything that is around him and just let whatever is about to happen, actually happen.

  He could hear the rustling of papers, followed by small whispers that could be almost incoherent if they weren't hiding under the table.

  "Where is it?" she mumbled as he went through the files in her office, probably looking for something important. "Oh, here." 

  The noises stopped and Jisung was not sure if she has left already or if she was still present in the room so he opened his eyes to see for himself. He did not see her anywhere near her, so he was about to crawl from under the table and look around the room himself but Minho stopped him before the younger could do so. His eyes were frantic as he turned Jisung around to face him, as quiet as possible. Jisung raised his eyebrows as a way of asking what was he doing.

  "She's coming back," he whispered to him, his voice barely audible. Jisung frowned because he couldn't understand how he could be so sure. He was about to break out of his grip when the door suddenly flew open. The angel froze in place so Minho grabbed him by his waist and quietly pulled him back and even closer to his body than before.

  "Is everything alright, Mrs Kim?" Chan's voice from the hall could be heard, meaning that Chan was most likely standing in the door frame or very near it at least. He heard steps that stopped at the same spot as before and when he turned his head, he saw Mrs Kim's legs a few inches away from his face. He bit his lip as prevention from letting out any kind of noise while Minho pulled him even closer.

  "Of course," Jisung heard her say, uncertainty evident in her voice. "I just thought I left something here. Looks like I did not."

  She stepped away from the table and made her way towards the door, her heels clicking against the marble floor which made Jisung shiver like crazy. It was giving a cold feeling against his skin as he watched his trembling fingers that were tightly gripping the journal they have stolen from one of the most powerful people Jisung has ever met. In a matter of seconds, Jisung suddenly felt warmth spread across his skin. Looking up, he saw Minho looking down at him, his eyes turned into the ruby colour Jisung knew very well. When he lowered his gaze, he saw Minho's hands on his waist, coloured in a slight shade of scarlet. Is he ... ? He let his thoughts flow, completely forgetting about a problem they've got going on since the woman was still in the room. He looked up at Minho who was deeply staring at him. The door closed with a loud bang, startling not only the angel but the devil as well. The noise brought him back to reality.