Chapter 14

Jisung was once again in the library. Books sprawled all across his table as he frantically looked through all the pages, almost ripping them out. Some poor souls that happened to be in the library at the same time as him were giving him terrified looks and he heard some whispers about if he has gone crazy. But there was a rational explanation for his actions. When he was studying for his exams, in one of the books he read that it is possible to take humans to the Imperium. The issue was that he did not remember which book contained that information. Jeongin and Jisung plotted this whole thing in a short period of time and Changbin decided to pretend he did not see or hear any of this. But he was willing to help, which made Jisung grateful.

  Since the younger boy did not want Changbin to get in trouble by letting him go to the human world, he decided to bring Felix and Jeongin here, to the Imperium, so that the latter won't get into many problems. Speaking of Changbin, the angel suddenly appeared next to Jisung, grabbing him by his arm and dragging him away. Stressed Jisung couldn't even realise what was happening before he was carefully thrown into their room. He fell onto his back, a confused look on his face as he angrily looked up at Changbin.

  "What has gotten into you?!" he voiced out as he slowly stood up, brushing off the imaginary dust from his back and knees. Changbin looked around the halls, probably to see if there was anyone nearby and closed the door. Then he went to Jisung and grabbed him by both of his shoulders which startled the younger even more.

  "You need to stop," Changbin said as he stared into Jisung's eyes. He raised his brows, so Changbin continued: "That Felix guy. During the examination, you said his name."

  Jisung had no idea what his roommate meant. Yes, he mentioned Felix's name during the exam but why would that suddenly matter? It's been a little bit over a week now and no one seemed to remember that part of the examination. Even Jisung almost did not remember it if it wasn't for Changbin who just mentioned it.

   "Okay, I did and so what?"

  "The commission wrote into your files that your life was taken away. And that Felix was the guy with your blood on his hands — that he killed you," he briefly explained and Jisung was stunned. "I am aware that the whole thing, the way you passed, is completely different from what was shown to us. I have no idea what actually happened but you have to act according to what they believe happened. There's no way you can bring that guy here."

  "W-Why would they write that down? I never said Felix did it, why —"

  "It fit the situation, Han. Listen, this is too risky, even for me. You can't do this to yourself. To Jeongin and Felix."

  Jisung was silent. All of this was sudden and unexpected. Does that mean I put Felix on some kind of black list? He thought to himself. It was logical because if Felix's name was in his files and he was named as Jisung's killer, there was no way he will get into Heaven. Unless Jisung came out with the truth and cleared Felix's name from the dirt he unknowingly put on it. He looked lost, so Changbin (again) pulled him into a tight embrace and patted his back while saying:

  "I'm sorry that there's still this cruelty and unfairness in your life even after you passed."

  Jisung sighed and let himself get lost in the warmth of his friend's hug.

  Knocking on the unfamiliar and yet so familiar door, Jisung waited for someone who would open the door. Just like the last time, he felt like an odd piece of the puzzle on this floor — actually, in this whole part of the building. There was an odd smell as well. Not that it was nauseating, it rather reminded him of fire camping. Because a fire was the thing he could smell the most. It was like burnt wooden planks or burnt pieces of branches thrown into the campfire in the middle of the night. It was odd but strangely comforting.

  After a while, the door opened, revealing Chan, who looked surprised by Jisung's sudden visit. Considering that his first and also last one did not turn out good. The angel grinned at him, his eyes turning into two small crescents. Chan returned the smile to him and asked him if there was anything he needed.

  "Um, hello! I was wondering if Hyunjin was here." Jisung scratched his nape, realising that it might look a tad weird that he's wandering in the devils' halls for the second time while looking for the son of Satan — for the second time as well. Chan chuckled a bit before moving out of the door. That way, Jisung could clearly see the inside of the room and the people present. Hyunjin was sitting on one side of the bed while Minho was sitting on the other side. They were playing blackjack. Jisung laughed out loud which caught the devils' attention.

  "Jisung here is looking for you," Chan said as he gestured at Jisung and then at Hyunjin before returning to his bed. Hyunjin raised a brow before placing down his cards and slowly getting up from his position. Minho was, for whatever reason, frowning at Jisung which made him think that it was probably because of their small talk in the roof garden.

  Before Hyunjin could make any more steps towards him, Jisung spoke up: "Actually, it would be better if I talked to all of you."

  Chan and Minho looked at each other and the eldest slowly nodded causing Minho to sigh. He also put down his cards and waited for Jisung to come in. So he did. Closing the door behind him, he carefully sat on the chair that was near Chan's bed.

  "I — There's this one problem I need you to help me with."

  Minho rolled his eyes, "Why would we help you with any of your problems? Go ask Changbin or that nerdy mentor friend of yours."

  The angel sighed and felt almost defeated upon hearing this statement but there was a goal set in his head and he promised to reach that goal to help his friends and finally meet Felix, again. Hyunjin, who obviously heard his thoughts, sat down, his eyes containing that spark of interest.

  "This problem is something none of the angels can solve. Because it's strictly against our rules and you guys are the only devils I know that could possibly help me out. Actually, you are the only devils I know," fiddling with his fingers, it was obvious that he was extremely nervous and that did not go unnoticed to the devils in front of him. "I need to bring two humans here. Without anyone noticing,"

  The room was silent.

  "Wait, you want to bring not only one but two humans here?" Chan asked, making sure he heard it right and was not dreaming. When Jisung confidently nodded, the devil frowned. "Look... you are a newbie and being 'downgraded' to a devil is not an enjoyable experience, unless you are a masochist."

  "Please," Jisung pleaded and nervously bit his lip. Once he realised that Chan is too kind for this whole mission, he turned to Hyunjin and Minho. Those two definitely didn't mind any danger. "I have to settle a few things with them and that is only possible here. One of them is Felix. A guy I mentioned during my exam and the commissioners wrote him down as my murderer. I need to show him my memories and... change what is written in those files."

  Hyunjin frowned and looked at Minho, who was blankly looking at the angel as if trying to read through him in case he was hiding something that all of them should be aware of. But he was like a closed book, Minho couldn't read him and his actions at all. Unlike Hyunjin. Suddenly, the three of them looked like they have gotten an idea. They exchanged looks and that gave Jisung hope.

  "We can help you but..." Hyunjin started and left the sentence hanging in the air which left Jisung feeling anxious.

  He bit his lip even harder than before. "But?" he repeated.

  "But there is one particular person that needs to be present for it to be possible."

  Jisung nodded and as he asked who would that be, he felt like the wind was knocked out of him.

  "We need an angel. Precisely, we need Kim Seungmin."