Chapter 29

Seungmin was running through Seoul contemplating whether he should take advantage of his powers or not. He was aimlessly running towards Han River, hoping that his heart will lead him to the right location. The sharp pain he felt in his lungs due to all the running was nothing compared to the anxiety he felt. Many thoughts and the worst scenarios were flowing through his head and there was nothing he could do for them to disappear. Hyunjin could be dead before he gets there, he could suffer a big loss of blood which would be fatal for the devil. Seungmin couldn't even bring him to the hospital because even though Hyunjin was half-human, he was also half-devil. Not only would his body not accept pure-human blood but his skin would most likely burn holes through the nurses' and doctors' bodies.

  Tripping over his legs, he fell into a pool of blood. His breath hitched as he stood up, the blood on his hands. He let out a shaky breath as he quickly got up, looking around. There were no signs of Hyunjin being here but seeing the blood on the ground, an idea popped up in his mind. He kneeled in front of it and closed his eyes, mouthing out yet another spell he never knew he would ever put into practice. The red blood on his hands and the ground, too, turned into a glowing amber colour and Seungmin immediately knew to who this blood belonged. Turning around yet again, he screamed:

  "Hyunjin?!"

  No answer. Seungmin cursed, knowing damn well that morsus was something that should not be taken lightly and that it was a serious matter. Life-threatening to someone with human blood. Seungmin began to run further into the darkness that was now engulfing the whole bank alongside the river.

  When the two of them first discovered what morsus meant, they just laughed at it, jokingly saying it was just a small snake bite — but once Hyunjin was out in the human world during their teenage years, he was almost wounded and very close to experiencing a morsus. Thankfully, he managed to escape and they have never talked about that matter again as it seemed to traumatise the older boy.

  Seungmin almost tripped again when he saw Hyunjin right in front of his eyes, his arms clutching his thigh which was all covered in blood and discomfort apparent on his face. His skin was pale, or at least paler than usual. His hair was wet as well as his clothes as if he swam in the river not so long ago. The angel dropped to his knees, right in front of the boy with a terrified expression on his face. Once Hyunjin saw him, he released a shaky breath of relief and let himself be held by the angel who wrapped his arms around him earlier.

  "What happened?" Seungmin asked in a quiet voice, pulling away as he examined the boy's injury. It was hard to see, considering Hyunjin was trying to stop the bleeding by putting pressure on the wound. The angel asked him to remove his hands for a bit but Hyunjin just shook his head.

  "It's disgusting," he whispered which caused Seungmin to sigh.

  "You are on the verge of dying and you really care if the wound looks disgusting or not? Rather tell me what happened." Seungmin asked as he grabbed the devil's hands and put them aside. It looked scary — something Seungmin hasn't seen before. Apart from the blood, there was a slightly greenish mist oozing out of it. The angel frowned as he looked closer, still waiting for the devil to start explaining to him what has exactly happened while thinking about what to do. He made sure to not show on his face the panic he was feeling inside as he watched his loved one slowly die in front of his eyes.

  "I can't tell you, I — "

  "Don't pull out this I can't tell you bullshit. You can tell me and you will, or else you wouldn't have called me here," he said as he took off his jacket, ripping away the cloth before making something in between a tourniquet and a provisional pressure bandage.

  Hyunjin sighed, defeated, knowing very well that was the truth. He shut his eyes tightly, before admitting: "I-I was attacked. It came out of nowhere. Well, attacks come out of nowhere but — fucking dammit!"