Chapter 40

"Alright, tell me everything I need to know," Jisung said as he looked at all the people present in the room. They've all been hiding there for almost a day now. Minho has slept through most of it since he was tired and Seungmin and Chan refused to talk to each other despite their apologies.

Now they were discussing what the angel needed to know before undergoing — or trying the undergo the reincarnation. If he had to be honest, he would be satisfied with both results. Yes, he would miss all the friends he has made along the way but at least no one else would have to suffer because of him. There was not an ounce of fear in his body as he imagined his soul getting lost in the void with no chance of hope.

Chan sighed. He wasn't sure of any of this.

"I know we've been through this many times before but I still have to ask you once more. Are you completely sure about this? You don't need to do anything heroic, we can find a different solution and —" his monologue got cut off by the younger.

"I know, Chan. This is not me being heroic, this is the bare minimum I could do. That's why I'm more than a hundred percent sure I want to do this." The convincing look in the angel's eyes made Chan nod. But there was still something pulling the strings at the back of his head, telling him this was a horrible idea. Especially if there was even a slight possibility that Han Jisung might be a pure-blooded angel.

  "Alright." he unwillingly let out a sigh as he grabbed a book that was well hidden behind Hyunjin's bookshelf. Jisung noted that it looked like it hadn't been touched or even exposed to the light in a hundred years — which made sense since reincarnation was now prohibited. Another thing that flashed through the young angel's eyes was how many books did they have that covered a certain topic. Whenever he asked something, they pulled out a book that answered all or at least the majority of his questions.

"You most likely are aware of this — but I will still repeat it. The process, whether successful or not, is extremely painful," Jisung nodded, he has been informed of this numerous times before. "If your soul gets lost in the void, you will be trapped in an infinity of suffering. You won't be able to see anything but you will hear the painful cries of other unlucky souls, pleading to be forgiven."

"How do people know it's like that? Is it a fact or just an assumption or possibility of what could really be happening? Something like humans assume you will get stretched out and die if you were to fall into a black hole, all based on the laws of physics, et cetera?" Jisung asked a question that had been bugging him for some time now. Chan looked him in the eye, almost as if he was scared to answer that question.

He did not want to give the angel hope.

But at the same time, he just couldn't look straight into his eyes and bluntly lie.

"Because there have been cases where those lost souls returned to the afterlife. They are rare."

As Jisung's eyes sparked, Chan had to bite his lip to restrain himself from saying anything because this was what he feared — giving the poor boy hope that could not be fulfilled.

Chan decided to continue. "Before it got banned, you had to have an authority by your side. The said authorities were Seungmin's parents. Now all we need is Seungmin himself but considering all the things that have been happening around you, I think you are powerful enough to do this on your own."

"As if I would let him do this alone." A voice interrupted them from the other side of the room. Jisung snapped the devil a quick smile before signalling to Chan that he should continue.

"You have to cast a spell. Nothing new, right? What makes this difficult is the fact that the commissioners have canceled the spell that was used for this procedure. But due to the fact that you were able to create a new spell, not just once but even twice, he should be able to do this as well. You have only one chance to succeed, though. If you do succeed in opening this, as they call it, portal, then it's up to fate. Are you still sure you want to do this?"