Chapter 6:Gärehn

Gärehn was a phenomenal specimen in the eyes of the Røwstíol higher-ups. He always seemed to know every solution to every problem when he started training. He was a quick learner, adaptable, and never showed fear no matter how high the reputation of the person in front of him is.

This caused him to invoke jealousy in his fellow trainees. Everything he did, no matter how good intentioned, made his peers envious of him.

This envy was amplified when he was personally called out by His sister, Yùleyne (Who was a Çhirē in training at the time) that Çhirē Shiyīvnē vouched for him and would train him, basically cementing his path towards greatness.

This was both a blessing and a curse, because Shiyīvnē had a nefarious reputation for being the most cruel
Çhirē according to the higher ranked people in the Røwstíol.

On his first week in her training regimen, he was in the same sorry state that Jærvun is currently in.

Magic Fatigued, freshly recovered, and barely passing for 'passable' in the eyes of Shiyīvnē. But this was only the beginning, because Jærvun had shown much greater early progress that expected, he was to be trained alongside Gärehn.

And that is no blessing.

Gärehn looked at Jærvun, who looked back at him.

'So. What brings you here today?' Jærvun asked, clearly tired and in need of recovery.

'I'm not so sure. I was called here just this morning.' Gärehn replied.

'Oh. Great. I guess we can get acquainted in the mean time.'

'You may want to get into fresh gear first. If she catches us by surprise, it would do you well to have ample protection.'

Jærvun obliged to the suggestion.

Once he was wearing a new set of training gear, he sat on the ground under a tree, trying his best to recover whatever damage was inflicted onto him on his last training session.

'I heard that you had just been released from the hospital yesterday.' Gärehn said, standing beside Jærvun.

'Yep. Best few months of my life.' Jærvun said jokingly.

'Well. I hope you're looking forward to more months in there.'

'Yeah, I sure am, Hehe' Jærvun was not paying much attention to Gärehn.

Then he thought more about the words.

'Wait, more months? What do you mean by that?'

'Exactly what I said, I believe- No, I guarantee, you will return to the hospital many times. I hope you take a liking to your doctor, they will be attending to you frequently.'

Hearing this immediately drained any semblance of hope in Jærvun's heart. As much as he liked his stay, he didn't want to get beaten to a pulp again.

At that exact moment, he remembered his sister telling him that the beating he received would be the worst.

Was that a lie? Would there be worse things to come?

This made him become stuck in thought, making him worried for what was to come.

This made him lack confidence, which Gärehn took notice to.

He places his hand on Jærvun's shoulder.

'Do not think about it too much. If you work well enough, your doctor may never need to treat you again. I am sure of it.'

This made Jærvun recover some of his lost confidence, but the thoughts were still there, perched at the back of his mind.