A Week of Lunches

Monday-Peanut Butter and jelly sandwiches

Monday's always had to be a simple lunch.

Gov would yawn and come into his kitchen, half dressed and cursing the fact that the sun hadn't risen yet. After his first cup of coffee and a quick text to remind FBI where his blazer was, he set to work preparing his, IDC, and DC's lunches.

(Usually it was only himself and DC he had to prepare for, but IDC was home this week.)

Gov had a good system down; butter all the sandwiches first, then work on the jelly. He was thankful they all liked the same kind (blackberry) but the construction of the sandwiches was different.

IDC liked hers sliced in halves, Gov enjoyed his in squares since it was less messy that way, and DC didn't mind how it was sliced but the crust had to be cut off.

The lunch boxes were all color coded with compartments to easily separate the add-ons to go with the lunch. Gov chose this Monday to add some chips (BBQ for DC and veggie sticks for IDC) and fun sized chocolates as an added touch. With lunch done, Gov was able finally make himself look in tip-top shape before hurrying off to the hill for work.

It was always worth it to make DC stop working for an hour so he could make sure he ate.

Tuesday-Tsukune with rice

Gov loved to cook. He enjoyed cooking for his family, his sons whenever they came around (which was often), and helping his dad cook for Sunday family dinner. So on Tuesday's Gov always made a hot dish for lunch for himself, IDC, and DC which was always appreciated especially on the cold Washington days.

The government rolled his sleeves and got to work, thankful for Austin for getting him that Japanese cookbook for Christmas. He had pre-prepped the meat the night before and set aside some meatballs for leftovers for supper. Austin had also gotten him a rice cooker alongside the book so the rice was easily made and packed up as the meatballs were finished. Gov skewered the meatballs and set them on the beds of rice. He put teriyaki sauce directly on top of DC's, while he slipped in tiny containers of sauce for dipping for himself and IDC. With another tiny chocolate slipped in the side of the container away from the food, Gov finished up the lunches and was out the door with plenty of time to get to the hill.

IDC always joked that Gov's international food wasn't as good as the real thing. But her secret smile as she ate her meatballs said it all.

Wednesday-Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili

Wednesday's were meeting days which usually meant Gov and DC would have whatever leftovers were in the fridge from dinner. Of course Gov always still popped back over to Washington with IDC's lunch if she was home but Wednesdays and Thursdays were usually Gov's 'break' days from making lunch.

Until DC called him as he was finishing up his hair explaining something went wrong with the instapot last night which completely ruined dinner, something about hot sauce and Utah needing therapy.

Gov took the news calmly, although he dreaded the mess that the kitchen was surely in, and stopped at a Publix before heading over to the Statehouse. He could easily cook up a big batch of sweet potato black bean chili, enough for the whole house if they wanted, and before the meeting made him want to drink he set to work cooking the chili.

About halfway through, Gov scooped out some of the food into his own bowl, not wanting it too spicy himself (he briefly heard New Mexico call him a wimp from another room) and added spices for the rest of the house and DC and IDC. He packed a to-go bowl for IDC, popped back and forth to Washington to deliver it, and came back just in time for the states to start flooding in trying to get food.

DC was satisfied with the lunch Gov had made and Gov was too. As the feds watched the chaos around the pot of chili and trying to find a space to eat in the kitchen, all they could think was 'we need a bigger house'.

Thursday-Go Out

Gov was insistent that Thursday the entire family would go out to eat together somewhere in the DC area. And when Gov put his foot down, everyone knew he meant business.

As per usual the twins showed up first in their dad's office, tumbling over one another and bickering like children. Gov usually ignored them until they came to their senses and dashed over to him with greetings and useless questions. This Thursday Gov reminded the both of them that it was CDC's turn to pick which made them both groan.

"But dad! He'll choose some weird health place!" FBI moans, but after a glare from his father the twins immediately shut up.

The rest follow in quick succession; CDC is with DC and Satanic Temple is with IDC talking about how cool her latest protest was and probably scaring her mother to death. National Guard follows behind awkwardly, still not used to being in the family yet. Thankfully Sanny, the closest sibling in age to Nat, grabs him and pulls him in the fray as everyone finishes up final preps before they all head out to lunch.

CDC does choose a health-food place but it turns out FBI and CIA's grumbling was for naught because it's quite good. They go well beyond their one hour lunch allowance (except for Sanny who, come to think of it, Gov wonders, what is her job?) but no one seems to mind or care.

Being together as a family was more important than work anyway.

Friday-Steak and potato hash

On Friday's, IDC and DC always begged Gov to take it easy and not be overly complicated with the lunch. After all it was the end of their work week, he could only put half the effort and they wouldn't care.

But Gov never half assed anything, which is why he was making a steak and potato hash for lunch.

The steak was leftover from dinner Miami made him and Austin one night during the week and the potatoes were cheap from Publix so it wasn't an expensive meal at all. Gov was going to make it taste like a million bucks, however, with some tasty seasoning and sauces mixed together into one tasty lunch.

Gov always was sad as he finished up the last lunch of the week. Next week IDC could be headed back to Europe or Asia and the lunches Gov made could only be for two. Lunch on Thursday's would be missing a member, and Sanny wouldn't have an extra person to lecture her about her reckless choices. Or he could just be extra tired that week and the entire lunch menu could consist of sandwiches.

But it was worth it seeing the big smiles on his siblings faces as they opened their meals, thanking him a million times over and digging in. It was worth it to make them happy.