Asking Permission

A/N: That feel when you learn Kentucky isn't the one you should be scared of

DC threw his head back and laughed which in turn made Cali smile and his cheeks go a bright pink. It was a beautiful sunny day, and DC was taking a small break from work with Cali, taking some coffee on the back deck and talking about books. The main five in recent weeks, especially when DC moved in, had become closer and closer to asking DC out although they hadn't made any moves recently. Cali was hoping to change that with this conversation and it looked like he was close to succeeding.

"So you mean the shopkeeper's cat just took the book out of your hands?" DC asked.

"I swear to Hades, that happened." Cali swore, making DC giggle again.

"I love shop cats, back in Atlanta there was a library cat that followed me and my brother around and meowed suggestions." DC explained.

"Was the suggestion 'bring me food mortal'." Cali asked, making DC laugh again.

"You're the best." DC snickered. "We need to take breaks more often."

"I'd like that." Cali said, smiling softly as a shadow fell over the two of them.

"Hello boys." A flat-toned southern voice greeted making the two look up. Kentucky stood over the two personifications, freshly back from a trip back to his home state to meet with his politicians, hence his red formal outfit. He was smoking a cigarette and just glaring at California making the western state uncomfortable but DC smiled.

"Hey papa! Cali and I were talking about some books we were reading." DC announced.

"Is that right?" Kentucky asked, tone lighter but eyes never leaving California.

"Y-Yes sir. Just books." Cali stammered.

"Mm I wasn't much for book-reading myself." Kentucky mumbled before finally turning to DC, gaze softening. "Where's your dad?"

"In the living room watching football with Bama." DC announced. Kentucky nodded at his son, glared one more time at California, then walked in the house.

"Cali? You okay?" DC asked, noting Cali's pale face and slight shake.

"J-Just fine." Cali lied quickly jumping up. "I-I should probably go see where the rest of the west is for our meeting..."

"And that's exactly what happened!" Cali explained a couple days later in the living room with his boyfriends.

"You were intimidated by Kentucky? Boy is as intimidating as a kitten!" Loui laughed while drinking some daiquiri.

"I'm serious Loui." Cali said with a glare. "Kentucky looked like he was ready to kill me!"

"I've talked to Kentucky before, he's a pleasant man." Texas muttered not looking up from the football game that was playing on the TV.

"Not when you talk to him in front of Dee!" Florida announced sitting upside down on the couch, hanging off the cushions. "He was glaring daggers in my back when I first called him to the table!"

"That doesn't make any sense!" New York complained. "What's the difference between us talking to him alone versus when we talk to him in front of DC?" The living room fell silent as the boyfriends pondered over the answer. Texas's eyes suddenly went wide, and his mouth dropped.

"Oh no..."

"What? What do you think, cowboy?" Cali asked.

"We never asked permission." Texas whispered.