Perils of Farm Life

references to blood tw 

Happiness AU: Westylvania (Vania) Is alive!

Reunion AU: Virginia, Kentucky, and West stop being stubborn and come together

The day started off bright and warm for an early spring morning.

Virginia was off doing some chores on his brother's farm, their joint farm now that he thought of it as he fixed an old wagon wheel. West was off somewhere, probably the fields, and Kentucky was with Vania in the barn leaving Georgia in the house tending to some housework. The twins were off somewhere, IDC was probably trying to prove to one of the brother's she was big enough to do farmwork while DC was no doubt checking on his chicks. Virginia made a mental note to go checking for them after he finished, but knew thanks to the fence he and Kentucky built around their land, they couldn't get far even if they wandered.

The lover state had just finished measuring the new axles for the wheel when a loud scream made him drop his tools in fear. In an instant a two-year-old was at his ankles, sobbing uncontrollably and clutching at his pants. Virginia shook the initial shock away and quickly picked up his nephew bringing him to his chest.

"Hey now, hey." Virginia whispered, rubbing his back. "What's wrong?" DC sobbed and pointed to the small coop Kentucky had built him on the upper part of the yard, making Virginia's blood go cold. DC's biggest job on the farm was to care for the chicks from the chicken coop, and he took his role very seriously. After a fox attack a few months ago, Kentucky and West built a small coop for DC to care for his chicks in safety, and Virginia feared it wasn't in vain.

"Okay, okay let me go check." Virginia whispered, tucking DC's head in his shoulder. His heart pounded as he approached the coop trying to come up with another explanation of why DC was crying. Maybe they ran out of food, or a chick just got out. Anything but a fox attack. But as they approached the coop, Virginia caught the faint scent of death and he didn't even need to see fully inside to see the red staining the walls.

Shit.

DC continued to sob, banging his tiny fists against Virginia's chest, crying so hard he was coughing.

"Shhh breathe Georgie....breath...." Virginia begged. At that moment, IDC dashed up, and Virginia, on autopilot, moved between the little girl and the coop so she couldn't see inside.

"Brother sad? Brother, sad!" IDC cried bouncing to get into Virginia's arms. Thanks to years of experience, Virginia was able to scoop IDC up in his other arm so she could hug her brother.

"C'mon let's go see daddy." Virginia whispered, walking towards the house. They had to clean up the mess before DC could even think of seeing it again, and reinforce it so no animal could get in ever again.

Georgia was cooking something on the iron stove when Virignia came in, head immediately whipping around to his sobbing son.

"What's wrong?" Georgia demanded hurrying over to Virginia.

"Fox got into the coop." Virginia announced handing the twins over. Georgia cursed and held DC and IDC close.

"Brother, sad." IDC pouted.

"I know sweetie, brother real sad. Let's go get y'all some milk and calm him down." Georgia whispered, rubbing DC's back with his free hand.

"Tucky still in the barn?" Virginia asked. Georgia nodded.

"With Vania. West is out in the fields." Virginia nodded and rushed out of the house again. West and himself could handle cleaning out the coop, DC needed both his dad and papa right now, and his older brother.