Chapter 39

It was peaceful. Painless.

And very dark.

He couldn't tell if he was dreaming, his body feeing light in the darkness. What had even happened... he was going back for Dream and then; oh.

Right.

He got shot.

Did that mean he was dead right now? Is this what being dead felt like? Never would he have thought that he would die in that way, nor that it would be that peaceful in his last moments. It all felt weird really, his body felt light yet he was staring to feel tingly, warmth spreading across his body.

He slowly opened his eyes to see a familiar ceiling. The room was dark, George's eyes having to slowly adjust to the dim room.

He moved his head slowly to the side, noticing how indeed it was his room, the same desk with a computer by his side, a few posters here and there. Karl's book was even still on his desk though this time there were a few flowers laying in small pots too. He recognised one bouquet of flowers as small blue forget me nots, all bundled up and placed in a small clay pot on his bedside table. Nikki loved those flowers...

So he wasn't dead?

Or was this just one of those things that happen after death, you know, the whole life flashing before your eyes. But it wasn't really the case was it... he was breathing, he could feel things; like the soft covers that were on him or something hard resting against his leg.

He slowly moved his head down to look at the weight that he was feeling.

Dream was sleeping on a stool besides him, head gently leaning against his leg, a blanket covering his body. He was wearing a more casual outfit, a green hoodie and some joggers. It did seem that the male hadn't slept in days, his blonde waves all messy and large dark bags under his eyes. He must have been worried sick...

If this was all a dream before his death then this was cruel.

He raised his arm from under the covers, noticing how part of it was bandaged up. George's reached for the other, his fingers intertwining with the blonde hair.

It felt so real...

He smiled to himself closing his eyes for a moment. He still felt so exhausted, his body barley wanted to move, every movement requiring so much energy.

"George...?"

His eyes opened again when he heard the familiar voice. Dream was looking back at him, tired eyes barley staying awake as they stared at him.

"I didn't mean to wake you... you look tired. You should rest." George insisted, watching as the other gradually became more aware of the situation.

"Oh my god George! Your awake! Your actually awake!" The blonde straighter up, the blanket falling to the ground as he tightly gripped onto George's hand.

George winced at the sudden shouting, Dream immediately apologising, sitting back on the wooden stool besides his bed. "of course I am... why wouldn't I be?" He smiled stupidly to himself.

"Wha- what do you mean 'why wouldn't i'? You almost got killed George! Your lucky that Wilbur got to us on time... you would have been dead."

So he was alive after all, this wasn't just some sick dream.

"I guess I am lucky..." he had to admit, he was stupid for even letting Schlatt shoot him. If only he had just gotten it over and done with, he had time to move the gun out of the way but he stood there paralysed... he thought he was better than that.

"I almost lost you..." he heard Dream mutter George moving his head to the side to look at him.

"How long was I out for...?"

"A week give or take."

He tried to sit up, quickly regretting the decision as he felt a sharp pain in his gut, causing him to hunch over from the sudden pain.

"Don't rush yourself, the wound is still fresh... please." Dream pleaded, helping George into a comfortable sitting position. George looked down, lifting his shirt slightly to reveal the several layers of bandages that wrapped around his torso, all tightly layered to keep his side protected.

"Your lucky that it didn't hit any vital organs. God knows how it would have ended..."

There was a long pause between the two, both looking down completely lost in thought. George couldn't imagine how much stress Dream must have been in, desperately waiting for help to arrive and begging for them to save him in time. Did Sapnap try to calm him down? He wondered how much it had affected his raven haired friend, he was always one to not show much weakness, hiding it in order to control the situation.

"I'm sorry... I should have been more careful, I- I should have thought more. It's Schlatt, of course he could have done anything and o didn't even think about it at the time...I'm so sorry..." he muttered, Dream suddenly embracing him, careful to not cause the Brit more harm.

"Shhhh, it's fine. I'm just happy that your alive... we don't need to worry about him anymore okay?"

George melted into the embrace for a moment before realisation hit him, putting distance between the two.

"Wait... what-?"

Dream sat besides him, George scooting himself over slowly to make more space for him "He died a few days ago, apparently from heart complications, news spreads fast around the market."

"You went to the market?"

The blonde nodded "Nikki said she needed a few herbs and was planning to go alone so I went instead." He smiled to himself slightly "he is finally gone George... finally."

George couldn't believe it, Schlatt was actually dead... was he the one to kill him? He didn't shoot at his heart... though who knows, he was barley standing when he shot him, he wasn't really aiming anywhere.

He sighed in relief. They would finally be able to be happy, they could finally be together.

"How is Sapnap doing?" He questioned, turning to look at the other.

"Definitely better than me" he chuckled "I'm surprised at how calm he was able to remain... he brought me food and told me to get some rest. He knew I wouldn't leave your side so he would switch with me... I owe him so much."

Listening to Dream speak made him feel relieved, knowing that while he was out at least Sapnap was trying to comfort and calm him, giving him hope that George was going to be alright.

George looked at Dream again, looking at the dark bags. His eyes were barley awake yet now that he was talking to George, his eyes were in fully alert, scared that something could happen, prepared for any situation.

George pulled Dream closer, carefully sliding back down under the covers with him. The blonde looked at him in confusion, George responding by gently pressing his lips against his.

"You look dead right now, you need some rest."

Dream didn't even try to protest this time, letting out a tight laugh before moving in closer to George and wrapping his arms around his waist. "You made me worry sick that's why. I still look handsome thought don't I?" He asked, a cocky grin on his face.

George rolled his eyes, barley being able to contain his laughter "hmm... not so sure. Don't know if you would be able to make me fall for you looking like this."

Dream chuckled "I know your lying..." he responded, kissing George's forehead before looking back at the brunette, their foreheads touching as they stared at one another, in happiness and peace.

"Of course I am..." George admitted, smiling tenderly back at the blonde, feeing love in the embrace around him.

"I love you George..." the blonde whispered, closing his eyes. George smiled as he admired the blondes features, running a hand through the messy blonde waves.

"I love you too, Dream."

End (: