18: Sick

You placed the iced Americano on the tray before serving it to a customer

Enjoy your meal, Sir you said with a smile as he grabbed the tray. He smiled politely before walking towards a vacant seat, your smile slowly faded as you let out a cough. You covered your mouth as you turned away from the counter to let out a few more. After a few minutes you inhaled a deep breath before drinking some warm water, you heard someone walked towards you and saw Ichiro holding a mop.

"Boss, are you good?" he asked as he placed the mop on the counter to lean it.

You nodded before smiling to him. Yeah, I'm fine it's just a cough"

Ichiro's brows furrowed as he looked at you suspiciously. "Are you sick, boss?" he asked before nearing you.

You let out a forced laugh and averted your eye to him. "What? Me? Sick?" you pointed to yourself. "No, I'm not. I'm healthy as a horse Ichi. So, just... don't mind it and get back to work" you tried to play it cool.

You jolted when Ichiro placed a hand on your forehead to check your temperature and his eyes widen. "Boss! You're burning hot!" he exclaimed. You tried to cover his mouth when you noticed a few customers looked at your direction, you gave them a polite smile before pulling Ichiro on a corner.

You glared at Ichiro. "Shush! Don't shout for Christ's sake!" you whispered yell at him.

"But you're-"

"I know, okay? I know" you said to him before letting go of his hand. "I'm just trying to finish work before going home and rest"

Ichiro tried to open his mouth to say something but you glared at him again to shut him up. "I'll rest and go home after work, okay? So, don't worry and just get back to work, I'll be fine. We only have four hours till closing time and I know I can handle it till then" you explained to him before pushing him back to his work. Ichiro looked like he doesn't want to but he had no choice but to obey.

You shook your head as you saw him continued to mop the floor and clean the tables. You walked towards the counter and was about to attend the customer waiting when you felt lightheaded. You grabbed to the kitchen counter before taking a few deep breaths and relaxing your head.

This is why I hate getting sick.

After a few seconds of rest, you greeted the customer with a smile before taking their orders, you made their drinks and place their food to a tray before serving it to them.

I'm fine, I'm sure I'll get better as time passes especially because I already took a medicine earlier this morning. For sure, after a few hours this cold and headache will be gone.

So, for the next few hours that's what you stick to your head. You do your job like you normally do, plastered a smile to every customer and sometimes make some small talk to your regulars.