CHAPTER 39

Be Careful. The Devil Has a Pretty Face.
_________________________

DANIEL

Someone dared to touch my wife. She hid it from me.

It felt like I'd explode. Eva reached forward and grabbed a shirt. Wrapping it around her body, she shook her head. "It's nothing, Daniel"

But the pain in her eyes told me the truth. She was lying to me. "Believe me, it's nothing, I-"

"Who?!" My jaw clenched. She shook her head again.

"When?!" I shouted, and my wife flinched. Her voice a whisper as she answered me. "In the morning."

My eyes widened. My body shook in, smoldering anger. This morning. This fucking morning, when I was away from her, she got hurt. She still came to the wedding, walked and danced with a bloody wound.

This is not gonna end well. "Tell me." I said my voice dangerously low. She gulped. "Daniel-"

"Fucking tell me who did this!" I snarled, my anger knew no bounds. She's in pain, because of me. I grabbed her shoulders, looking with death in my eyes. "Or I'll have to find out myself."

Eva sighed, wearily. "There's no need to hurt her. Just...just forget it." She looked even more exhausted as she held onto the wall for support. Just forget it? She wants me to act like nothing happened, like she wasn't attacked on our wedding day.

My teeth gritted, harshly. "Her?!" Eva nodded her head slowly, involuntarily her eyes closed as she mumbled. "Kelly..." Her voice trailed as if she wasn't sure I'd believe her.

Kelly Byrne.

Kelly went after her.

Eva bit her lower lip, her forehead creased. Her body shivered. My gaze lowered to her abdomen, a patch of the shirt drenched in her blood from when I had ripped the bandaid open. Her screams, agonizing cries, calling for help rang in my ears. And she wanted to leave it be, forget it ever happened.

All because she was marrying me. She was hurt, because of me. I didn't want her to be hurt, to be touched. I knew she would be the target as my wife but not now, there's was time for that.

I stepped forward to hold her, slowly taking her to the bed. She stayed silent, and I tried to assure myself that she wasn't distressing herself emotionally. I walked into the restroom and came back with the red kit. Wordlessly I asked her to let me remove the shirt and she obliged. Her face impassive, as she leaned against the headboard.

I sat on the bed beside her. Carefully, I cleaned the wound and her eyes watched me. I gently applied a layer of the gel, to help her feel relieved from the pain. It'll leave a scar behind.

A lonely tear fell down her cheek and her hand immediately shot up to wipe it. Her teeth clenched as she cursed herself for being weak, for shedding tears, for not concealing her emotions. But who will explain to her how strong she is. Even after suffering, she doesn't want me to hurt Kelly. Or take revenge.

She is someone I do not deserve. So pure, so genuine. Polar opposite to me, a tainted soul with zero redeeming qualities.

My thumb caressed her cheek as I inched closer. Our eyes remained on one another. This time hers didn't have fear instead they were void of emotions. I was the one who wanted her to be unhappy and now when she was, it felt... strange.

Eva sucked in a deep breath when my thumb traced her plump lips. She drew her bottom lip in with her teeth. My eyes landed on them and I let myself loose it. "Daniel, no..." Her whisper faded away.