CHAPTER 50

The Best Way To Catch A Man Is To Make Him Want To Get Caught.

***

EVA

Being intoxicated was the best yet the worst feeling at the same time. It’s as if you no longer belong to the world you see yourself in. During the entire ride, I relished all my hidden talents, performing for my fellow passengers. They, on the other hand, seemed to have quite different opinions on my utterly magnanimous nature and gratuitous entertainment. 

My brain was enjoying the moments. Except the tiny bit of jim-jams at the back, in some murky corner of my head, I didn’t have a single thought of the life partner I have at home who was currently waiting for my arrival. Preparing myself for the encounter further was out of range for my incapable little brain. 

Anyways, I was genuinely happy my dear friends here seemed to have really loved this particular piece of my singing and their thankfully bewildered faces confirmed so. Oh, these gentlemen, how sweet they are. I think I should organize a concert—

“Mrs Knight?”

“Mrs Knight!”

It was when I had finally stopped damaging my vocals, mind you, for an intake of a breath, I heard the heavy voice of my bodyguard who was very desperately trying to tell me that the destination had arrived. In return, I grinned, waving him off and was about to get back to sing-screaming… when my eyes caught a dark, towering figure, standing composedly at the entrance. 

My voice got shivers and it skillfully changed its direction back inside, choosing not to make an appearance at such a situation. The rest of me was unfortunately not in a state to comprehend the said situation. It had different plans. 

Plans I would forbid if conscious. 

The dark, steady figure stepped out in the moonlight, striding towards sweet little me with a different level of lack-of expression. One which I didn’t have enough time to figure out. 

Michael being an obedient employee, exited the car and stood guarded at the door on my right while his master walked over, staring at me as a predator would while surveying its prey. A healthy sense of determination washed over me and quietly, I watched their actions.

I waited. 

The door to my left opened, and I managed to step out without falling face first at my husband’s feet. His hands stayed embedded inside his pockets as he glared at me through those cool, dark-blue eyes. I held my clutch tightly in hand, giddily observing his every move. Taking a step back, he gave me space to walk further and I put a foot ahead… missing the ground ‘accidently’—

His hand shot out.

About to grab me but I slid a feet away, very steadily still on my feet and ambled ahead towards the edifice with a huge grin on my face. A low groaning sound came from behind me, but then I heard two pairs of heavy footsteps follow closely.

I waited patiently until any thought of me intending to make a run faded from their respective heads and slowed down a little to get a head start. Once we were just about to take a turn towards the private elevator, I whirled around and away in the direction of the car. Even in my woozy state, I could manage to retrieve my spare car keys, while my wobbly feet hurried down the area. And within the next few seconds, I was already starting my Audi’s engine.