CHAPTER 48

She didn't play the game.
She changed the game.

***

EVA

My hand caressed the gorgeous flowing gown, I was dressed into, easing out the light folds softly. The hat-wearing woman in front of me went on about how she would love if I joined her and her lovely friends on a night at one of the famous clubs in the city. Suddenly I was the centre of attraction for everyone and at times I even had to remind them what this event exactly was for.

But I wasn't complaining.

I didn't feel awkward. For the first time, I didn't feel uncomfortable or anxious standing in a room full of high-classed people. The few judgy looks I received didn't affect me anymore, if anything they felt comical. Narrowed female eyes further extended with irregular creases over the foreheads and the supposed to be hidden, curvy frowns on the mouths. Quite funny, indeed.

I wondered why I couldn't see this side of the story before. Maybe I was too caught up with trying to fix myself and my crumbled-up life, though a justified reaction from someone whose freedom was snatched away. Honestly I don't know what changed, or what happened that today I no longer felt the maddening hindrance of breathe on its way down the pipe.

All in all I was calm!

Now that I had a clear mindset, I realized not everyone was against me. I saw genuine faces with excited smiles and amiable hearts. Something I had never let myself except. People came to introduce themselves, very politely, ofcourse there were some envious looks directed my way but I saw them differently today.

Something had changed!

Maybe I had realized wasting another day grieving and complaining will do me no good.

Hence, there I was ensuring I had fun.

Excusing myself, I passed by the dinner table, which was being cleaned up, walking towards the area with a large aquarium. Slowing my steps, I came to a halt eventually to stand in front of Mr Ivanov's wife. She actually seemed quite easy to have a conversation with, obviously much more than her husband. We had introduced ourselves at the dinner table but I thought it would be nice to really talk to her personally.

Millie Ivanov glanced up from her phone screen which I noticed was a baby camera and her mouth bloomed into a sweet smile. "Oh, hello! Mrs Knight!"

"Eva, please. Sleeping soundly, is he?"

Her eyes checked her phone one last time, an unknown emotion glinting within them before she put it away. "Finally! He's a very energetic baby, gives me a hard time. Just like his father!"

I chuckled. "I figured."

"I would admit," she ask if I wanted a drink which I shook my head to. "I was excited to meet you. You know it's surprising. The fact that Daniel actually decided to settle down."