CHAPTER 43

EVA

EVA

The knocks continued mercilessly.

We all knew who it could be, who could be so inconsiderate to not let a poor lady rest. When I shout-asked, no one replied, forcing me to push myself off the bed. Luckily it was much easier, since I had been sleeping upright. My mind swarmed with vicious and unrealistic thoughts as I muttered a few incoherent words.

I switched on the lamp before walking towards the door, hoping it wouldn't break with all that pitiless hammering.

But who cares the owner is exceedingly loaded.

With force, I jerked it open, hands firm against the hardwood, my best glare plastered on my face. But who knew the sight of that person would be enough to transform it into a broad smile.

"Surprise!"

The excitement made me jump before I saw Emily in her infamous pajamas, her grin wide and beautiful. She held a small tray filled with food and that's when I realized I haven't had dinner yet. I let out a hearty laugh, physically relaxed, seeing her.

"Hey! Emily," I hugged her tightly, already feeling relieved. She rubbed my back, a soothing gesture over my strained muscles and I sighed audibly. Is it natural to already miss someone even when you were with them the entire day?

My eyes almost missed the dark silhouette, several feet behind her in the dim lighted living room. Daniel stood rigid near the bar, hands tightly behind his back.

The moonlight highlighting his features when he tilted his head, darkening them further. His face cold and expressionless. But I knew from the look in his eyes that he has had an nice earful from my very own kind friend.

And for some reason it didn't leave my notice that hadn't lashed out on her anytime, reminding her who he is and how she is supposed to respectfully acknowledge him.

Pulling away, I looked at her and all she had was a smirk on her face. She glanced behind once before walking aside me into the room.

Daniel's eyes met mine but his gaze was neutral, displaying no emotion. With a curt nod, he turned around disappearing into the darkness. I couldn't tell for exactly how long, I stood there but then I heard Emily sighing. "Hurry up! I'm hungry."

She had already made herself home unwrapping the food as my hands pulled closed the doors before I joined her little pillow tent on the bed. Situating myself comfortably beside her, I tugged my legs under the duvet. "So, what brought you here?"

She nodded her head, asking me to wait, her mouth already stuffed with Benjamin's delicious food. Swallowing the bite, she replied. "I was on my way back to our apartment, then I realized how much you would be missing me."