CHAPTER 42

If you have an opinion about my life, please raise you hand

Now put it over your mouth!

***

EVA

I was shocked.

Like literally taken aback by the resonance of Aaron's voice as he not so politely pointed out how wrong I was to bring the topic of the Knight's dinner to my husband. I mean, I do realize my mistake but the way he bluntly said that astounded me.

As if he personally was upset with what I did. The look on my face was obviously what made Aaron realize his slip of tone and he sighed, closing his eyes briefly. "Fuck. I didn't mean it like that."

"I'm so sorry," He face-palmed himself, eyes lowering down to the table between us. When Benjamin had called Daniel late that night, Aaron had answered. So, he knew everything.

Hell! It's only him who knows everything.

"It's okay." I assured.

"Look, you won't get it now but that house does terrible things to him. Things like what happened between the two of you." He looked up at me and I frowned but nodding my head slowly.

Honestly, I appreciate Aaron being there for his friend, even though he wouldn't be able to explain everything to me. The fact that Daniel turned to his friend when he was not himself gave me some sort of relief, considering how closed off he is.

I stayed quiet. Aaron crossed his fingers together over the table. "Just don't push him too much. That's all I can say, I hope you unde--"

He stopped mid sentence, clearing his throat as he looked past me once. He checked his watch before continuing, "By the way, Emily had left for work already, must have reached now."

I craned my neck behind and my eyes caught sight of Daniel making his way down the stairs, his fingers busy rolling his cuffs. His eyes dark and beautiful as they gazed around the house, more like his fortress. He readjusted his expensive wrist watch, stepping down the last landing, and nodded at Benjamin who must have greeted him.

They crossed ways as Benjamin headed to the lowest floor of the penthouse, probably to his room while Daniel walked towards the kitchen.

Which meant towards where I was seated and which also meant that I had been staring at him for so long that I almost forgot someone was there with me. Pressing my lips together, I dragged my gaze away but regretted the moment it landed on a fully grinning Aaron.

My hand saved me from the unwanted flushing of my cheeks by bringing the coffee mug to my lips and I took a big sip. Aaron smugly muttered under his breath and I swear that it sounded something like 'whipped'.

But I chose not to believe everything I hear.

Daniel's eyes met Aaron's for a brief second and he nodded his head slightly, walking further to the refrigerator next to the kitchen island where he pulled out a bottle of water. Even after my previous embarrassment I couldn't help but strain my eyes as they followed every move of his.