Part 3

"Going during the day seems to be the best. We are more open, but so is it, and it won't be hunting during the day," Ryder replied, trying to imagine what a feral wolf, hound, or whatever the thing was would do. 

"Which is what I've been trying to say. Look, Donald, the reason we've been failing so much is that we've gone with zero information. Now, not only have we learned from every other patrol, but we can, to a degree, predict its behavior. The only problem we have is that it would be less active during the day, but I'm sure we could track it down."

"Yeah, you know what, you're right. Going during the night is reckless," Donald replied, giving a nod. "Alright, we'll spend all day tomorrow coming up with a plan on what we're going to do, then the day after that, we go to this... what did you call it, James?"

"Well, the tourists refer to it as the 'Mountain of Frozen Tears', but its official name is Mt. White Tooth."

"Fitting... alright, well, we'll give you guys a day to prep and relay all of the info we have, then we head out the next day. Jeffery will show you to where you'll sleeping while James and I handle a couple of things the mayor wanted to be done."

Instinctively, Jeffery grabbed Ryder's bags and signaled out the door. Catching on, Ryder and the pups went out into the hallway, with Jeffery coming out a couple of seconds later. As Ryder and the pups followed the man down the hallway, they took note of how the paint, artwork, and general design of the hallway seemed to fade away into a more industrial and dull layout.

"We don't use these hallways much," Jeffery told Ryder as they treaded down the weirdly cold hallway, "And due to the limited staff, we barely can keep this place afloat."

"That must be awful," Chase replied.

"Yeah, but we've dealt with it. Although, if we don't do this soon, we're going to have to shut down that mountain. It's just too risky."

"Why haven't you done that before? It seems even more risky to go towards the problem instead of containing it," Everest questioned.

"It's better to get rid of it than just contain it. After all, its unpredictability makes it too dangerous. Plus it might just wander out and terrorize the folks in the city. Now that would be bad press."

They finally reached a small-sized fully painted blue door, which Jeffery opened for them. Inside, was a small, furnished room similar to a hotel room, with two beds that each had blue sheets and blankets, a fully white wall with a streak of blue in the middle, and a small desk in the corner with an office chair. Jeffery set Ryder's bags on one of the beds before walking over back to the door and looking back to Ryder.

"Donald and James need me for something, but if you need something, the lady at the front desk can help. Be back in the same room at 6 in the morning tomorrow," Jeffery informed Ryder, closing the door behind him as he left.

"...So, an unexpected vacation fighting a wolf turned into a killing machine?" Marshall said before the silence could settle for long. Ryder went over to his bags and took out a folder Raven had given to him on the train. Sitting down on the bed, and then being joined by the pups, Ryder opened the folder and examined its contents.  Reports, descriptions, photos, eye-witness recounts, all of it a lot of information to take in

"Ryder... will we have to kill it?" Everest questioned the boy, who turned to the husky. Clearly, she was scared of the thought of having to end a creature's life herself. It was natural, but it was different when you had to do it yourself. Ryder hesitated, but Marshall and Chase gave him a similar stare, clearly wanting an answer too. He gave a deep sigh, put the folder beside him, and gave them an answer.

"Look, I know that with everything we stand for, you guys are bothered with the idea of taking away a life when our job is to save them. But... in some cases, we need to make exceptions. This... animal, it's dangerous, feral, and out of control. Sometimes, we need to enforce things we don't want to. I will try to see if there is a non-lethal way to deal with it, but if it does need to die, we will not be the ones to pull the trigger. I promise."