Part 25

Everest quickly considered her options, knowing that time was beginning to run out. Going for the ankles, whilst being an easy and open target, would leave her vulnerable to attacks if she failed to do any lasting damage. She also disregarded the belly, feeling as though the target wasn't quite as easy to hit as the ankles or neck.

Deciding that the neck was the best option, she began to sprint over to the wolf and Jeffrey. Jumping high in the air, she landed on the back of the beast. Although it was thrashing its body violently in an effort to kill Jeffrey, it did not seem to notice Everest jumping onto it. Taking the opportunity, Everest crawled over to the neck slowly, hoping to not get caught. Once successful in doing so, she bit down hard on the neck, feeling and tasting blood quickly flooding her mouth.

The wolf yelped in pain, finally realizing the husky on its back. But in the chaos, it stepped down hard onto Jeffrey's ribs, with an audible crack and his screams flooding the air.

"No!" Everest yelled, taking her mouth off the creature in a panic. Taking advantage of her mistake, the wolf quickly shook its body hard, sending Everest flying off the wolf. She tumbled several feet away, dazed from the fall. Stunned and groaning in pain, she glanced up to see the wolf slowly approaching her, with drool slipping down its mouth and a gaze of pure animosity.

Before she had a chance to scramble to her feet, the wolf quickly swiped its paw at Everest's face aimed towards her left eye. Everest fell to the ground again, crying out in pain. Attempting to get onto her feet again, she was overtaken with the pain in her eyes and failed to get back up. With her sight red and blurry now, she glanced back up to see the wolf standing over, almost as if it was taunting her before finishing her off.

Just before it could, though, Jeffrey came and grabbed it from behind, stabbing his knife into its back. Yelping and whimpering, it threw off the weakened Jeffrey and stepped away from Everest. After one final growl from it, it quickly retreated into the forest, disappearing from everyone's view.

Everyone was quiet after that, still recovering from the trauma of the situation. Everest, attempting yet again to stand on her feet, was quickly overwhelmed by the pain in her eye. With the adrenaline slowly dissipating in her body, she could feel more and more pain flooding her face.

"Everest."

She could hear Jeffrey calling out to her, but when she turned to him, she couldn't even make out his face from the blurriness. Unable to take the pain and starting to feel nauseous, Everest collapsed to the ground, slowly going unconscious. The last thing she saw before she was swallowed by darkness was Rubble and Jeffrey standing over, attempting to call out to her.

Rocky didn't know how far they were, but with how fast they were running, (which was surprising, considering he and Zuma were carrying more weight than they had ever carried on their backs before,) he knew they ran a far bit away from Everest, Rubble, and Jeffrey. Even long after the rationality in his brain kicked in and told him to stop running and take a break, he kept on listening to the paranoid voice in his head to keep going.

"*Huff*... slow...*Huff* slow down, dudes!"

Zuma, exhausted and out of breath, called out to Rocky and Skye. Snapping out of their panicked and paranoid auto-pilot of running, Rocky and Skye came to a halt and turned to Zuma. The chocolate labrador caught to them soon after that, collapsing to the ground in a panting fit.

"Ugh... do... do you dudes... think we ran far enough?" Zuma asked, groaning in pain from the burning in his legs.

"I-...ugh... I think so, yeah..." Rocky replied, also collapsing to the ground in exhaustion. The three of them sat there in silence, too exhausted to do anything for several minutes. Instead, they all took the moment to observe their surroundings and try to figure out where exactly they were right now. Although they were still on the path that led to the mountain trail, they were much further ahead than Everest, Rubble, and Jeffrey were. Besides that, though, the trail seemed vaguely familiar to how it looked since they came here, so it was hard to judge how close they were to the mountain.