Part 9

Everest considered the station for a moment. The cave would not only be uncomfortable but also possibly dangerous and unsafe. Plus, if it ever found them at the cave, being cornered would be the end for them. And with the watch tower being too far away, Everest concluded the safest option should be the ranger station.

"Let's go to the ranger station; The cave has only one entrance and the watch tower is too far away," Everest told Marshall, who nodded at her argument.

"Good point. Let's get going then."

The further Raven and Jeffrey followed the river's trail, the more and more their hopes of finding any survivors whatsoever, Paw Patrol or not, slowly dwindled. They both wondered in their minds why the things that happened to make the mission go wrong had to happen, somewhat blaming themselves for what happened to the other people. 

But instead of letting the thoughts linger in their heads, they chose to focus on the scenery around them. The flowing river slowly getting quieter and quieter as they reach its near end could almost soothe the shadow of dread that covered them, and the flora surrounding them reminded Raven of... something. He couldn't put his finger on it, but it was almost like he remembered something he forgot long ago.

"Wait, James, what is that?" Jeffrey suddenly tugged at his arms and pointed to the river. Cutting him out of his trance, Raven glanced over to see Jeffrey pointing at an object sitting on top of a protruding rock in the river. It was clearly man-made, almost like a dog collar of some sort, leading both of them to realize it may have been one of the Paw Patrol's pup tags.

"I think it's one of the dog's collars," Raven replied, "and if it is, that means we must be somewhere close to them."

"Well, how do we get it then?" Jeffrey questioned Raven. He took a second to look at the river closely: It was still fairly wide and deep, maybe around 5 feet wide and 4 feet deep. However, the river flow was still very violent, and if Raven wasn't careful, he could be overtaken by the current. Still, he had a feeling it was important enough to risk.

"I'm going to try swimming to it," Raven answered, stepping over to the edge of the river.

"What?! Raven, you're not good at swimming at all!"

"So? I'll be fine. Besides, you're here to help if things go south," Raven replied to Jeffrey, turning over to face him for a couple of seconds. Jeffrey stood there for a couple of seconds before nodding at Raven and watching him jump into the river.

As he fell in and felt the power of the current, he had to suddenly grip the wall before he was flung with the current. It was strong, but Raven felt like he could overpower it. Kicking his feet off the ground, he used as much of his strength as he could to swim over to the rock. Thankfully, it was not far and he managed to reach it, exhausted as he was. Grabbing his hand onto it firmly, he used the other to grab the tag and toss it to Jeffrey, catching it and examining it.

"Yeah, this is definitely the Paw Patrol. I think it belongs to that dalmatian, Marshall," Jeffrey explained as Raven fished himself out of the river, now soaked and cold from the water.

"Well, that proves our theory of them falling in. Now, all we need to know is if they survived and where they went," Raven said, dumping excess water out of his hat. "Let's hope we at least find out one more thing before sunset."