Chapter 28

Holding Zero's hand and wandering back to the destroyed city, I felt like I was walking back through memories of my life. From the old school I went to when I was nothing more than a pup, to the old ice cream shop where I actually met Taylor, to even the old abandoned house where I broke my one tooth on the concrete footsteps. Finally, at long last, I reached my old house, the one I had worked for for so long. Stepping through the door today felt like stepping into the house for the first time, as I remembered many times of even less than three years ago.

Me: Okay, where did I put it? Hmmm... Zero? I... can't remember where I put the lockbox.

Zero: Do you remember how to distinguish where you put it from the regular floorboards? One set of boards in an opposite direction than the rest. Are you certain you did not do that?

Me: Wait, I know it's... it's in my room, but I think you're right. Come on, let's get the box and get out of here.

Zero: Terrible memories of living with just your brother? Or is it because... you hate being alone? Especially wish someone like myself?

Me: Zero don't say shit like that. I just want to get my parents' tokens and get out of the city. This place is just destroyed, I can't live here anymore. I don't know where to go, even WHEN all of that ended.

Heading into my bedroom and taking my first look around in about... I don't know, two, three weeks? And as I looked, it was as I remembered. Very basic, but something I lived in, and something I was proud of. Examining the floorboards closely, I could tell there was something off, that Zero's idea of the different directions in the floor was right. Crouched and bent over, I tugged at the planks in my floor, and I heard that damn Jackal chuckling behind me, the bastard perv.

Me: Shut up, shut up, SHUT UP. I know, I'm in the best position for you. I just want to get my parents' heirlooms. So PLEASE shut up.

Zero: Heh, and let you have all the fun?~ My god, you're so unpredictable, yet so hot, Wolfie.

Me: You are... such an ass. Now quit enjoying the view and get your Jackal ass over here and, you know, HELP me?

Zero: Can't I enjoy it, at least a bit? I find it to be... oddly satisfying. Hey, I don't mean to bother with your friend group, but what is it with that Golden Retriever? What was her name? Taylor? I've seen that she has something in her eyes, a wrong-filled glint, and sometimes she stares daggers.

Me: She's just pissed she felt something inside of her about me. She... she honestly felt love for me, but I think I broke her heart when I said that we were only friends.

Zero: And the OTHER golden retrievers? The Twins? What is it with you and them? I feel as if I remember the sight of them.

Me: They're... I thought they were Labrador retrievers, but they call themselves Golden. It was two months ago, when we got word that we were needed to assist in the middle of the city. An evacuation situation, that was all. Damn, I didn't think the floors would stay THIS strong.

Zero: And the hybrid? What's so special about him that you've kept him around for this long?

Me: Daniel... he's been there since we were pup and cub. I don't know what it was, if I'm being brutally honest, but we've been by each other's side since we first met. Okay, this floor isn't coming up. Zero, please help?

Zero: *sigh* The sooner we get this done the sooner I can finally behold the sights of the carnage I had created. I don't understand what it is about the middle class of this damned world, but I figured it was nothing to be considered for.

Me: I wouldn't necessarily SAY I'm part of mid class, but I'm kind of at the same time. Low-mid at BEST, and... if I can get this fucking THING OFF!