Chapter 7

The wavy course that led up to the Chemical Plant ended with me swinging over a barrier with my newly installed grappling hook, one in each glove. I was connected to the widespread communications network that was installed in my headset.

Espio: Espio here. My team has infiltrated the base and are now searching for a shuttle.

I started to hear mechanical whirring near front of me, and I saw a few of those Egg robots. A quick tap of the burst and they were cooked crispier than Colonel Sander's extra crispy chicken meals.

Espio: WAIT!!! Rookie, it's him. The masked one that took down Sonic. Be careful.

Vector: We're off to find a shuttle. I know you can't talk, but I know you'd say "Good luck."

I nodded, knowing that I would say that, and started booking it to the other side of the compound. Tethering rope swings, Bursting a few enemies, riding on a grind-rail, and soaring high above the sky with the Burst's special function from obtaining a wisp capsule. Have to admit that I did grapple-kick a few bots.

I had just finished using the wisp function and ended up right before another hook when I noticed a train passing through on the far end of the ravine. I adjusted my glasses and backed up a bit.

Vector: Is that a freight train?

Amy: I believe so. I don't think it's armed or anything.

Taking a running start, I rappelled onto the hook and flung myself almost too far over the train. I barely managed to snag the corner of the final car and pull myself up onto the roof of it. Then I realized that it was heading for a tunnel. I quickly thought about what I could do, and I noticed a crossbeam right above the entire tunnel wall.

I rappelled up to the beam and flung myself over the tunnel and into the path of another freight train. Quick reflexes and thinking gave me enough time to grapple another beam and shoot myself into the Chemical Plant.

Me(thinking): Not What I really wanted to happen yet, but an adrenaline rush is an adrenaline rush.

I dusted my knees off and started heading through the factory, admiring some of the sights. Purple goop flowed through the many pipes in a giant maze that made it seem... almost peaceful.

Me(thinking): This is a nice place. Better than home.

Vector: Hurry up, Rookie. No time to waste.

I shook myself out of my daze and started heading through the chemical plant. Not really a challenge, just had to watch my footing and not get nauseous from the platforming I just had to do, and it was never again going to be hard.

Espio: Rookie. We're running out of time, here. Chop Chop.

I rolled my eyes and jumped onto a grind-rail that conveniently followed the path to a convenient shuttle.

Vector: They won't mind if we "borrow" this, would they?

Knuckles: Hurry it up, Rookie.

I flipped over to another rail and collected a few gold rings. I thought back to the time Vector asked me to spare some rings so he could pay his rent for his investigation crew. That was the time I also misplaced my glasses, and it took me about five hours to find them, when they were on the TV stand.

Me(thinking): Great, yet embarrassing.

I jumped through the big momentum rings at the end of the path and grappled a hook that swung me right in front of the shuttle. A nice, big albatross-looking piece of metal. I ran up through the loading bay just as the door started closing. I climbed a ladder up to the main control room, where Vector and Espio were waiting for me.