Chapter 23

"Scott!" I called out, dropping Stiles the last few inches, ignoring the small grunt of pain as I ran for the door.

An arm, half covered in dark green scales, shot out blocking me from leaving. Jackson pushed against me with more force than necessary, sending me flying through the air. My shoulder hit the small end table beside the couch hard, sending a wave of pain down my back. Pushing myself off the floor I glared up at Jackson, cursing myself for about the tenth time since Matt had shown up for wanting to drink tonight. Had I made the conscious decision to stay away from alcohol I wouldn't have had to take my pill and I could do something to help my friends.

Looking up at the clock I tried to think back to when I had taken my pill. I remembered when I had climbed into Stile's jeep his clock had read 9:48, making me realize that we were going to be late for Lydia's party. The clock on the wall now read 2:34, that meant in about fifteen minutes the drugs would have lost their potency and I could actually do something to help.

Matt had been right. If I was smart, I could walk out of here alive. Not just me but all of us. I just needed to wait. Bide my time and figure out a way to get Matt and or Jackson alone then I could put to use all those hours of practice I had been doing without risking anyone getting hurt. I sat on the couch, fidgeting with the charm on my bracelet, trying to figure out what I could do. While I could scare Matt and Jackson, it wouldn't stop them.

"Bri." Derek called, pulling me out of my thoughts.

Looking over at him I saw him staring at my shoulder. The jacket Stiles had lent me had fallen down to pool around my elbow and a scratch about two inches long, almost identical to the ones on the back of their neck shown red against the pale skin of my collar bone. Wiping at it a few times with my hand I was able to get rid of the blood before pulling the jacket back around my shoulders.

The two of them stared at me, wondering why I wasn't lying motionless on the floor like they were. Instead of answering I just shrugged my shoulders. Maybe I had gotten scratched another way, or maybe the jacket had stopped the venom from getting to me. Whatever the reason I was happy that there was still someone else other than Scott who could move around freely. I would figure out why I was lucky enough to not get paralyzed after we got out of here.

Matt pushed Scott into the room, a fresh blood stain covering his green shirt. Jumping up I rushed over to steady him as he stumbled forward, not even thinking about the gun that Matt held by his side. Even though Scott assured me that he was okay and that he could already feel the wound healing, it did little to ease the alarm I felt seeing my friend limping in with a gunshot wound.

"The evidence is gone. You can leave." Scott told Matt as he leaned against me for support.

"You think the evidence really mattered?" he scoffed. "No. I want the book. The bestiary. All of it."

"We don't have it." I said, stiffening when Matt began gesturing the gun in our direction.

The door to the outside blew open, blowing papers from the front desk all over the floor. Matt glanced over at Jackson who disappeared to go lock the door. He kept the gun pointed at us, everyone staying quiet until Jackson came back. I glanced at the clock, suppressing the relief I felt as I read the time 2:57.

"What do you mean you don't have it? I saw it." He stepped closer; the gun held higher to our heads. "You had the pages on your tablet." Matt snapped when Jackson came back.

"It's Gerard's. We had to sneak those pages." Scott explained. "What do you need it for anyways?"

"I need answers." Matt muttered, beginning to pace around. "I need to know what's happening."