Chapter 21: Abomination

"Milim?" Ramiris worryingly called and slowly floated closer to her, only to be swatted away by the girl's left hand, who kept her eyes on me.

Encounter. Abomination Versus Dragonoid.

As if she had heard it and signaled her, Milim lunged at me, "[Ice Shield]," I created a wall of ice between us, which she smashed as I jumped back off the summit, away from the others.

Erebus, it looks like she's after me. Take this chance to check on Ramiris, I thought to him. I'll figure out how to deal with this abomination, get yourselves to safety.

She's fine, Erebus immediately responded as Milim chased me, running down the hallway toward the entrance, But I can't leave you here alone.

"[Ice Shield]," I kept making walls between us throughout the hallway to keep Milim from gaining on me, I know my odds, but who's going to warn Rimuru and the others if we both die here?

I... understand, Erebus continued, I will return with haste.

Thank you, I stopped at the entrance, allowing Milim to catch up fast, right as she was about to hit me with a left punch, "[Warp Portal]."

The portal opened between us in time for her to throw herself through it. The other side wasn't far away; at the top of a tree in the middle of the forest that I could barely see in the distance. In fact, as I exited the Dwelling, I realized that the forest was now consumed by the corrupting mist as some of it started to seep inside through the doors.

"She's corrupted & a Dragonoid, so we should be on the same level," I commented and received an unexpected response from the [Voice].

Correction. The abomination's strength is similar to an S rank monster. Extreme caution is advised.

"She's what?!" I questioned in confusion as I heard Milim run closer before she broke through the mist.

I took the advice and carefully avoided her attacks while moving into the forest, examining her for openings. In the process I noticed a few things. She remained silent when abominations before her could make noise. She only attacked with her left fist. And she continued to watch me like a hawk eyeing its victim when attacks came form different directions.

Throwing all I could at her at random did little to stop her. Unlike the beast before, a downpour of ice lances and fireballs did nothing. However, I continued to do so, if for no other reason than for her to think all I had were four moves to make and Disaster's Blade. Using [Warp Portal], I created several in the nearby area that she could clearly see. The one I went through exited right above her.

"[Sticky Steel Thread]," My threads fell upon her as she stopped to look up, tying her up, I didn't waste the chance, "[Hell Flare]!"

Standing away from the contained black flame, I watched carefully for any sign of her. As the flame when away, I saw something I wish I hadn't. Her tattered cloak was nothing special, it burned easily against the flames of [Hell Flare], and nothing was under it to cover her bare skin. At least, what remained of her skin. The right side of her body was covered in a burn mark, similar to the one on her face. Her right arm was completely gone. Likely burned off.

The black flame triggered something in her. Something terrible. Her eyes widened as she began to shake uncontrollably. A cry that could be heard from the Jura Forest left her lungs. She was in a nightmare after seeing those flames. And the unstable girl was still staring me down. Now her eyes, previously empty, were filled to the brim with seething emotion.

No intelligible words left her mouth as she attacked. The only things that came from her were screams, growls, and other beastly sounds. Kicking down trees that got in her way and she even attempted to bite me. She was, for a simple description, mad in every way. The more I tried to use [Hell Flame] the angrier she became. I thought, for a brief moment, that her madness may have been my chance.