Chapter 57: Scorched Empire

"Are you sure of this?" Erebus, standing beside Laden at the border between Velhiem and the Eastern Empire.

"I don't care for the politics of nations. In the stories from Earth, a Demon Lord wages war without warning and kills without cause. We do have cause though," Laden reminded him, "Yuuki had connections with the Empire."

"I understand, what I'm asking is moving without input from the others-"

Laden's sharp eyes caused Erebus to freeze, "I considered that... today or tomorrow, the Empire will be destroyed. It might as well be today."

"Very well," Erebus gave in, "What will you have us do?"

Laden had also brought the daemons Moros, Apate, and the dragons Cherry and Venti. "My orders are simple. Destroy every last town and village of the Empire. I will deal with the Velgrynd and the capital."

"Understood," Erebus lowered his head before growing several larger, almost the size of a Dragon Lord. With a howl, tens of thousands of wolves, black as night came from the ground. The massive pack broke off, following the others that split.

"Now for the first move," Laden his way toward the capital of the Empire. When it was in view, Laden extended his hand out in the direction of the capital, "[Drago Nova]."

Right as he finished saying that, a hand intercepted him. Velgrynd, the concept of acceleration and hotheadedness, felt Laden's movements well in advance. His attack flew overhead of the city, while Erebus and the others continued unbothered in their assault of the Empire territory. Unlike in previous fights, Laden did not exchange immediate words with his target and his mere punches were impacting Velgrynd. The two raged on and their impacts made the sky crack.

***

Gathered at the bottom floor of the dungeon in Tempest, a meeting of the other True Dragons and Demon Lords was taking place. Rimuru, Ramiris, Veldanava, Veldora, Velzard, and Guy Crimson all sat around a table that had snacks and tea brought by Shuna on it. The meeting had to do with Laden. After Veldanava saw the result of the ruin incident, he asked Velzard to make the trip to Tempest to talk. This caught the interest of Guy, who knew part of the situation. They had arrived in a foul mood, only appeased when they learned that Gaia was brought back to Milim.

"To think he would be able to break down time like that," Guy leaned back in his chair. "You've really done it now."

Veldanava hung his head low, "I made the conscience choice to let things play out as they may. But I never wanted Milim hurt, nor him to awaken such power."

"Brother," Velzard stepped in, "I allowed him to complete the awakening because it followed your thoughts. Don't tell me you of all people are questioning the right of the living to live."

"No... I'm simply worried is all."

Rimuru raised his hand, "That's why I asked you all here. After speaking with Veldanava, I would like to know what is going on with Laden."

Guy told him the truth, "Then we should tell you he isn't Laden or F/N. This is something of ancient history." With each word that came from Guy, Rimuru's eyes and Veldora's widened.

"An unexpected revelation!" Veldora's shock stunned Rimuru.

"You didn't know?"

"Veldora is the youngest. Brother didn't trust him around Milim, he most definitely could not be trusted with this. That is why this secret is only known to those here and Lucia," Velzard told the slime.

Veldora was hurt by Velzard's words, causing Rimuru to reassure him, "They're telling you now, that should tell you they see your growth."

"It's not just that," Veldora's words were unshaken, "I don't know what I can do to help him."