Chapter 30: Training One's Self In Mind

I left the matter of Youm becoming a Hero to Rimuru since he wants to be friendly with humans and is the main leader of the nation. I think a small amount of isolationism would do some good and keep us out of the troublesome politics of the western kingdoms. But I do recognize that it is unrealistic, they would notice us eventually and stick their noses where they don't belong. All the same, I feel Rimuru forgets he isn't human anymore.

As for my matters, I've been visiting Ramiris where I do my work and training in private with her and some of the other spirits. I ask Aruru to bring me to the Dwelling where the poverty fairy would complain, saying the Dwelling isn't a place for me to train. All the same, she lets me do so. In the main room, I was fighting the spirit of darkness, the spirit of light, and Aruru. Against Ramiris' initial wishes, I decided to name them Nyx and Helios.

Why I did such a thing was a simple matter, I found it interesting that Erebus, Aruru, and now those two, were all Special A. This caught the interest of Ramiris as well to a degree, as the naming process did not appear to decrease my magic capacity any more than the corruption already had. I came to the idea that the power I didn't receive from Veldora likely stayed with him until I named them.

In a way, my soul was a broken vase that could only store so many magicules before the water would spill out. So when it was poured into other vessels and I passed out, power would slowly seep back into me until I was filled back up to the limit. This was only an idea and I couldn't think of a way to prove it without revealing Veldora's presence inside Rimuru's stomach. It was for the best that people, namely humans, didn't hear that the True Dragon was hidden inside a slime that was ruling a nation of monsters.

All the human kingdoms would likely call for immediate war. Dwargon would be put into a tough situation and likely be unable to help us. And who knows who else would take advantage of the chaos and strike. Many people would certainly be dead. On the topic of death, I had a second motive for naming Nyx and Helios.

The event happened after Youm's arrival and resulted in me being unavailable for six days in order to recover. When I returned to the city I told Rimuru that I had been out training. In actuality, I was planning to do something reckless.

"Messing with the soul is not a wise idea," Nyx, the spirit of darkness stated as we all sat together at a table.

Helios, the spirit of light, spoke up, "She's right. Even if reincarnating did make your soul stronger, it's as likely to kill you as it is to work. And once your ego is gone, there's no coming back."

"I understand that. But if I can recreate the experience, it might make my soul strong enough to deal with the corruption," I argued. "And if it doesn't but I survive, then there's a chance I could move my ego into a different soul."

"Might. Chance. Those are not guarantees," Aruru reaffirmed. "Do not be so quick to act out rough ideas. Though it hasn't affected your ego that does not mean its source isn't rooted throughout your soul. And to discard your Unique Skills quickly is foolish in itself."

I had nothing to say against that and asked, "Okay, any other ideas?" While the spirits looked at each other and thought, Ramiris continued snacking on the cookies I brought.

"Though I hate to say it, nothing comes to mind," Helios admitted.

Nyx nodded, "Evolution might fix it, but as Aruru said that isn't a guarantee."

Aruru raised a hand, "It wouldn't fix your nucleic heart, however, there is another option to increasing your strength. Time."

Ramiris stopped eating and looked at Aruru, "No, no messing with time."

"I understand Lord Ramiris," Aruru continued, "I am merely stating an alternative. It is possible with the people present to create an area where time is dilated. Allowing F/N to have additional time to grow."