Chapter 45: Plan For A Festival

The return was as short of a trip as the journey to the Warpurgis and upon making it home Rimuru and I were greeted by the people. The battles fought while we were away were reported the next day after we settled down in the conference room. Albis and her comrades proved valuable allies in the battle that took place near and in the City of the Forgotten Dragon, Milim's home. Especially against one of Clayman's Five Fingers named Yamza.

Meanwhile, the small group sent to invade Clayman's castle, led by Shuna, fought against Adalman, a lich in clergy robes who commanded the undead army that defended the castle. Cruz, who had joined the group wanting to gain experience and be of use, when confronted by Adalman's most powerful pawn, an undead dragon, requested that Hakurou leave it to her. According to the old man, Cruz went on a killing spree, leaving the others to watch.

"The sight she displayed struck fear into my bones," Adalman said, bowing his head to me. Apparently, Cruz went full genocidal zealot on the poor undead. When he asked if she worshiped the god Luminous she told him about me, and the idea of a human worshipping a monster humored him until he realized Shuna, a monster, as well could use Holy magic. In the end, Adalman and his men followed them back, the mass of undead sent to the sealed cave.

Adalman, fully on the ground in a bow, continued, "I knew then that the ones they worshiped-"

I stopped him, "If the next thing you're about to say is you wish to serve one of us then say no more."

"I... understand. I was your enemy. Serving a lord that wished to see you all dead."

"What I'm saying is I don't need another zealot. Rimuru," I faced him, "We need to discuss more in detail later about the refugees and the reconstruction efforts with Frey. In the meantime, I'll be taking this one under my charge."

"Really?" Adalman looked up, and though he didn't have eyes or skin, hope could be seen on his face. "It would be my honor to serve."

"I do hope that's the case, we'll continue on this matter once all the others returned," I said before returning to my conversation with Rimuru.

We had spent the morning discussing the layout of the city that was to be built. While I could very easily create shadow clones, use [Raphael] and [Akashic] to create a well-defended city that's designed efficiently and remove whole sections of the forest for farmland. However, that would mean not a lot of work for the people. In a very human moment, Rimuru and I agreed on one thing. A city built by the hands of the people is a city loved by the people.

This was partly why I wanted to wait until Benimaru returned with Albis. Carrion's input alone helped greatly when considering the beastmen. I even considered getting that annoying lizard's input. And a few days later, after Diablo returned from Falmuth with part of the reparations, fifteen hundred stellar gold, of which only ten thousand exist in circulation. A thousand was given to me to kick start the country building.

However, while I appreciated the donation, I didn't want to be indebted to Rimuru and so I offered to take it under the agreement that I'd do a job for him. While I was gone for a few days, the annoying lizard and his troops returned. Who I would later learn brought a letter from Milim addressed to me.

"Heya bro! Frey won't let me leave and visit, can you believe that?! The next time I can I'll be bringing the people that love taking care of me so please teach them how to cook. I'm serious, please, I hope you will help me with this. I'm really really counting on you!"Or so her letter said. I found Milim's letter funny in a way because the job I did for Rimuru was delivering a letter to the church. The Holy Church. But they aren't that important to note at the moment. Before I realized it, with all the planning, purchasing of supplies, and organizing of people, a month had gone by.