Chapter 37: Saved Souls

I had to admit, I was impressed by the city. While Rimuru spoke with Yuuki at the guild headquarters, I explored Ingrassia and its four districts. Our inn and the guild were in the sightseeing district, with many attractions besides vendors to distract visitors. A surprise to me, not found in Blumund when we were there, was the public baths. But many aspects of the culture were like that, they appeared more advanced despite the fantasy castle at the heart of the city.

The doors to the guild were sliding glass, the production district was equipped to make steel, which helped to explain how they constructed large gymnasium-style buildings. They had to be using the knowledge of Otherworlders to create these. I even spotted craftsmen examining one of my record players while I was sneaking around the facilities.

Reuniting with Rimuru, we went off to the school where he would be teaching and moving into the dorm for instructors. I wasn't initially for the idea of Rimuru becoming a teacher to the children, however, Rimuru convinced me that he would find someone to take his place once we were done helping them.

Arriving at the school grounds, one of the senior faculty members greeted us, handing us formal attire before providing us with a tour of the place. Both Rimuru and I took an interest in the library available to us and once more I had to admit I was impressed. Shelves upon shelves of books towering ten rows per bookcase with an additional second level, it was a large collection of knowledge that made me wish I had stopped by the city earlier while I was traveling alone.

"We might be here a while," I stated aloud.

"If you wish," The senior suggested, "We can stop the tour here for today, and tomorrow you can meet the students."

"That'll be fine, thank you," Rimuru said before walking over to the first shelf of books. I'll have [Great Sage] focus on books you're interested in first so you're not here all night.

How considerate, I followed and took on a different aisle of books, Regardless, I might spend the night here. I can already tell there is more here than grimoires.

What else are you looking for? Rimuru asked, I figured you'd want spells or more knowledge of magic.

Close. Spirits, daemons, dragons, anything relating to the soul would also be good, I added. I want to know how they all tick, including this world.

Third aisle, left side, the second row to the top, third bookcase, He informed me.

[Great Sage] sure works fast, thanks.

Rimuru would continue to skim books while [Great Sage] went to work, meanwhile, I was reading as fast as [Sage] could process the information. By the time he left, I was still sitting on the lower rung of a latter, reading a towering stack of grimoires on the ground. Hours went by, and while Rimuru was relaxing in his room, I continued reading. Pouring as much knowledge into [Mind Library] as possible, to the point that I wasn't sure anymore what information I was truly processing.

I needed a break. Neither of the librarians at the front bothered me once, and in turn, I didn't want to speak with them. Putting aside the grimoires, I began looking for a different kind of book, like what my father would write. Being an academic place, I didn't expect anything in the way of fantasy stories so it was a great surprise to me when I found a familiar story, one of the Storm Dragon and the Hero.

In the middle of reading it, the female librarian came up to me, "Excuse me."

"Huh?"

"I was wondering if you were done with those books in the other aisle."

"Oh, yeah, I read through most of them. Sorry to leave a mess."

"It's all right, it is part of my job to shelve them. I see you're interested in the hero," She pointed to the mask on the side of my head. "Your friend earlier was wearing one too, she must have inspired you both."