Chapter Five

Wells was dead. Everyone suspects the grounders did it, but Vince said they didn't do it. I knew he was correct so I sat on top of the dropship observing everyone. Jasper was doing way better so Octavia was leading him around camp. Murphy was being a dick by pissing on connor. I rolled my eyes and focused on Charlotte who was building. I had found her after my training session with vince. We had cuddled in my tent and I noticed she hadn't had a nightmare last night. She was currently putting something together.

"B!" Bellamy yelled. I looked down and saw Bellamy looking up at me with a serious face. "What's going on?" I asked. "Just follow me!" he called back. I groaned and jumped down to follow Bellamy into a tent.

"The knife was made with metal from the dropship." Clarke said as she examined the knife. "What do you mean?" Finn asked. "Who else knows about this?" Clarke asked, completely ignoring finn. "No one, we brought it straight here." Octavia announced. Clarke continued to examine the knife and I noticed something caught her attention. "Clarke?" I asked. She looked up at me then to Jasper. "This means the grounders didn't kill Wells, it was one of us." she said angrily. I smiled to myself, I already knew that. "So theres a murder in our camp?" Jasper asked. "Theres more than one murder in our camp. This isn't news. We need to keep it quiet." Bellamy replied. Clarke tried to storm out of the tent but Bellamy stopped her. "Get out of my way bellamy!" she yelled and tried to fight him. "Clarke, be smart about this. Look at what we've achieved... the wall, the patrols. Like it or not, thinking the Grounders killed Wells is good for us,''Bellamy said. "Oh, good for you, you mean. What keep people afraid and they'll work for you? Is that it?" Clarke snapped.

"Yeah. That's it. But it's good for all of us. Fear of the Grounders is building that wall. And besides, what are you gonna do, just walk out there and ask the killer to step forward? You don't even know whose knife that is." Bellamy shot back. I raised an eyebrow as they stared at each other. Suddenly Clarke raised the knife and showed the initials that were carved into the knife. "Oh really? J.M. John Murphy. The people have a right to know!" she yelled before storming out of the tent. I looked at Octavia with an amused smile but she didn't seem amused. Quietly everyone scurried out of the tent to follow Clarke, leaving me alone.

I sighed and walked out to see Clarke holding the knife in front of Murphy's face. "It's my knife, where did you find it?" he asked. Clarke let out a humorous laugh. "Where you dropped it right after you killed wells." she accused. A series of gasps came from everyone around camp. Murphy took a step back, obviously confused. "Where is what! The grounders killed Wells, not me!" he snapped. "I know what you did, and you're going to pay for it." Clarke yelled. Murphy scoffed and looked at bellamy. "Really? Bellamy, you really believe this crap?" he asked. I turned towards Bellamy and all he did was shrug. Clarke made him focus on her yet again. "You threatened to kill him! We all heard you. You hated wells!" she continued. "Plenty of people hated wells. His father was the chancellor that locked us up." he defended.

I crossed my arms and spotted Charlotte in the crowd and made my way towards her. She grabbed onto my arm and squeezed it. "Yeah but you're the only one who got into a knife fight with him." Clarke spat. "Yeah I didn't kill him then either.". I could tell Murphy was done with this conversation and frankly so was I. "Tried to kill Jasper too!" Octavia chimed in. I raised an eyebrow. "Come on, this is ridiculous! I don't have to answer you! I don't have to answer to anyone!" Murphy yelled. "Come again?" Bellamy said after licking his lips. Oh this just got interesting. "Bellamy man, I'm telling you I didn't do this!" Murphy pleaded. Bellamy took a step forward so he was now beside Clarke. I had a strong feeling Murphy didn't do it so Charlotte let go of me as I made my way beside murphy.

"They found his fingers on the ground beside your knife." Bellamy said with a raised brow. "Maybe someone stole his knife and killed wells with it. I mean it makes the most sense. Take the knife of the person whos most likely to kill.'' I suggested it. Everyone grew silent after my suggestion but still Clarke had to rile up the sheep again. "Is this the kind of society that we want? You say there should be no rules. Does that mean that we can kill each other without punishment?" she yelled. I rolled my eyes and grabbed Murphy's hand trying to get him away from the screaming crowd. "I already told you I didn't kill him!" Murphy argued as I led him through the crowd.