Chapter Seventeen

"We're escaping." she said and ran to the scalpel to cut off the restraints. "What? How?" I asked her as she did the final one. "Stop asking questions. Anya is waiting for us in the tunnels. I managed to get back in but it's a long story I really don't want to tell you so please just trust me." She explained and helped me off the bed. I winced as my bare feet made contact with the cold ground. "Fuck this hurts." I said as pain shot through my body as we walked towards the vents. "Can you make it?" she asked me. I nodded my head and crawled into the vent after her, following as she guided us out.

"Are you sure you know where you're going?" I asked her. "Yes I do! Now shut up, they might hear you." she whispered harshly. "Of course." I said. My bloodied knees stung with each step. Black blood trailed behind me. "Listen im sorry, i'm not trying to be rude i just want to get out of here.'' Clarke apologized. "It's fine, just get us the hell out of here." I breathed.

"Why did they separate you from the group?" she asked me. "My blood. They saw it was black and wanted to find out why." I explained to her. "How'd you find me?" I asked her. "I saw them take you off the elevator. Followed them from there. Getting to you with the vents was a little more difficult." she half laughed. "What about the others?" I asked her. "I tried to tell them you were alive or that we weren't safe. They didn't listen." she said, her voice dipping at the end.

I stared at her as we continued, and realized she wasn't as bad as I thought. "I was wrong about you clarke. You aren't as selfish as I thought. Your still a pain in the ass though.'' I joked, causing her to laugh. "I could say the same about you to B." she laughed. "I thought you were this bitch that didn't care for anyone, but now I realize you were scared of losing anyone if they found out about your blood. Were you always like this?" she asked.

"Not always. I was always locked up on the ark. And everyone knew I had the blood. I was called a freak. I actually had two friends that didn't think I was a curse or freak. Raven and washington. But Washington got floated for stealing medicine. Raven had to give me the news. I guess once we got down here I realized this was my second chance." I explained. "Did Washington mean something to you?" she asked me. "Yeah, he was my first love. I met him after it was announced I was to be floated at eighteen. He actually is the reason I knew how to fight when we got down here. I miss him so much." I told her, feeling sad as memories of him, played in my mind.

Clarke stopped and turned to face me. "B, I bet he is so proud of you." she said. A weak smile appeared on my lips as I nodded. "Thank you, but we need to go before I'm too weak to walk." I told her. She turned back around and continued. "What about you? Anybody you miss?" I asked her. "My dad. He died trying to save the ark." she told me. "I'm just hoping the ark survived the crash." she then added. "What?" I was confused. "When the grounders attacked the ark came down. Mount Weather said they found no survivors but I don't think so." she explained. "Is that what those lights were. I remember bright lights.'' I asked. She mumbled a yes as we turned a corner.

I felt a pang of hope and a question I needed to ask. "Could that mean Bellamy is alive?" I asked with hope in my tone. "I doubt it. When we walked out of the ark I saw skeletons in the exact position of when I last saw him. I'm afraid he didn't make it." she told me. "I'm sorry." she added when she turned back and saw me wiping some falling tears. "Let's just get out of here, how far are we?" I mumbled. "Just after this corner." she said and continued to crawl. I turned back and saw the trail of blood following me and sighed.

Clarke helped me to the ground where a grounder was waiting for us. "She wasn't joking.'' She breathed and looked me up and down. "Aya, and your B." she said in astonishment.

"Did you find a way?" Clarke asked, making Anya nod. "Yes but it's a little ways down. Lets just hope we don't run into the reapers again, or allow the mountain men to capture you." Anya said as she started walking.

Clarke wrapped her arm around my waist as she noticed I was struggling to walk. Blood fell from my body faster and a trail was still being left. "Almost there, how is b holding up?" Anya asked. "Not good, she needs medical attention." Clarke told her.

"Stop where you are!" a manly voice yelled. Anya took off running while Clarke did the same, except I was holding her back. We were faster than them but my blood was a dead give away.

I pulled from her arms, causing her to stop. "What are you doing? We need to keep going." she said. "I can't go with you." I said, shaking my head and starting to walk in the other direction. "What is she doing? We need to go, now!" Anya yelled. "B!" Clarke said. I stopped and turned around, pointing at the trail of blood. "I'm leading them to us. I'm also slowing you down. Your better off without me.'' I explained. "No! We're not! Now get your ass back over here and escape with us!" Clarke demanded, yet I could hear the anxiety in her voice.

"You'll die!" she added. "I know." I said, allowing my tears to fall. "I know, but if I can get them off your trail so you can escape, then I don't mind." I half laughed. Clarke took a step towards me. "B, please don't do this." she begged, tears falling from her eyes. "It's Bailey." I shrugged with a smile, pulling her in for a hug. She hugged me back tightly, my cuts screaming as they made contact with her. As we pulled back I hid the fear on my face while Clarke showed hers. "Now go save our people. Be the hero they need you to be. I'm going to go join Bellamy and washington." i told her.

Anya walked up to me and rested her forehead against mine. "Yu gonplei ste odon." she told me. I looked up into her eyes and nodded, recognizing those words as the one spoken right before death. "You guys stay safe." I smiled. "Bailey!" Clarke yelled before I could walk away. I turned back and hummed as she slammed her body on mine. "Thank you. For everything." she cried into my shoulder. I hugged her back. This would be my last ever hug. I walked away from them after our hug was done. "Such a true commander." was the last I heard from Anya and Clarke.

"Raven, what's wrong?" I asked with worry when she walked into my cell crying. She shook her head as a sob took over her. I ran over to her and wrapped my arms around her crying figure. "Washington, he." she started. I pulled away and stared at her, confused. "Washington what?" I asked urgently. "He stole medicine for his mom." she said. I gasped as I felt where this was going. "Bailey he got floated." she finished, finally meeting my eye. I staggered backward onto my butt. "You're lying." I said, denying the truth. "Raven, you're lying!" I yelled as tears streamed down my face. Raven reached out to hug me but I slapped her hands away and pushed myself against the wall. "He's not dead!" I screamed to myself, covering my ears. "No no no no! This isn't real, only a dream. I'm going to wake up in his arms. Everything is going to be alright." I said to myself. Ravens shaking hands pulled my hands off my ears. "No!" I screamed and pushed her away. I looked at the wall and started to punch it. My skin cracked open and black blood fell out of my wounds, yet I continued to punch it as hard as I could. "Bailey stop!" Raven screamed as she wrapped her arms around me this time. I beat on her chest and she allowed me. "Let it out." she whispered while her fingers ran through my hair.

I continued through the tunnels, struggling to keep my eyes open. The pain in my hip grew stronger than my other wounds. I sat down and lifted the gown that I still had on. My hip was coated in blood and looked to be getting infected. I pulled down the gown and continued to walk. The mountain men should have found me by now. I didn't know why they weren't here. My body was slowly being drained of its strength the longer I went on. I just felt so tired and drained the longer I went.

It felt like I was in these tunnels forever. I didn't know if it was day or night or if I was even going to make it out of this cave. I fell to my knees as my legs grew weak. My hip hit a rock, causing a small scream to leave my dry lips. I fell onto the ground as the cave grew dark, or was that my vision. All I knew was I needed to get out of the caves. Forcing myself back onto my feet I continued to walk.

Eventually I saw the outside world. I would smile but my body just couldn't. I could only muster up enough strength to get out of the tunnels and into the woods.

I collapsed near a river. My hand fell in it, flowing with the water. I just laid there, bleeding out as night fell. My eyes felt so heavy and my hip screamed in pain. I took my hand out of the water and placed it on my hip, cooling it off. Repeating the process I eventually attempted to lower my body into the water. The coolness of it kept me awake. It also cleaned my cuts and cooled my hip. I leaned my head back onto the rocks and stared at the sky.

The world around me was quiet as I drifted off to sleep, not knowing if i would awake the next day.