Chapter Twenty-Seven

"Last time they stepped foot here, we were at war with each other. Now the twelve clans fight together. Remember this day. You may never see one like it again." Indra told me and Octavia as we walked through the busy streets of Tondc . She turned around and spotted octavia. "You haven't heard a word I said?" Indra asked octavia. Her head snapped up. "Sorry, Bellamy left Lincoln in the tunnels two days ago and should be back." she mumbled. "Lincoln is no longer your concern." Indra spat. "Look. I've done everything you've asked me to do, and I'll continue to do so, but what you're asking now is impossible." Octavia said in her frustrated voice.

"I'm not asking. We're at war, and a warrior does not mourn those she's lost till after the battle is won." Indra told us. She looked around and spotted something. "Go stand watch with the other seconds. Assassins from the mountain will try again. We need to be ready." she instructed. I went to go with Octavia but Indra stopped me. "Lexa wants you." she told me.

I followed Indra to Lexa where her guards stood in front of her. Lexa smiled and walked over to hug me. "This is an exciting day." she sighed. "Yes it is!" I smiled as she pulled away, her hand going to fix my hair. I leaned into the small touch of comfort from her, enjoying it. "Soon you can come back to polis with me," she promised. I looked away and sighed. "Will I still be able to visit my friends?" I asked her. "Bailey, you can do whatever you want. As long as you train and be my second, then I will allow it." she explained.

Lexa looked at me with such kindness I forgot what it felt like to be truly wanted without forcing it. "Would you like me to do your hair? I've noticed you keep it down." she asked me. I twirled a strand in my fingers then nodded my head, knowing I could use the change. She motioned me over to sit on a step. I did as she said and allowed her to run her fingers through my hair.

"I never really learned how to do hair." I told her. "How come?" she asked. "Well raven was more focused on teaching me about life on the ark." I shrugged. "And I didn't see the point in learning if I was going to die anyway.". I felt Lexa stop for a second. "Why would they kill you?" she questioned. "Well to everyone I was cursed and shouldn't be allowed to live or have kids. They were afraid of me." I explained to her. I could hear Lexa scowl. "I hate that that happened to you." she whispered. "That's all I know, but now I see how your people worship you and it just amazes me." i laughed, throwing my arms forward, careful to not move my head.

"They will one day worship you too. Bailey your blood is what keeps our people together." she explained to me. I slightly nodded my head as she continued to do my hair.

A little bit of time passed until she was done and led me to a small mirror hanging on the wall. She had pulled the top layer of my hair back and braided it on my scalp then allowed it loose. While the lower layer of my hair stayed loose. She showed me the back of my hair and I saw it was like a web. Tied in different places while the ends were braided.

I turned to her with a huge grin on my face, feeling so happy. "I love it!" I gasped. Lexa smiled back at me. "Next you need war paint." she told me and went to grab something. She walked towards me and painted my face in black paint. I watched my breathing with her face so close.

She stepped back and allowed me to look in the mirror. The paint was face around my eyes and streaked it towards my hair while on the sides they streaked to my jaw. It was so perfect.

Eventually everyone walked into the room, including kane. "Where's clarke?" I asked him. "She stayed at camp, sent me to fill in for her." he said then brushed past me. I squinted my eyes then turned towards lexa. "Where do you want me?" "Just stay by me." She smiled at me.