Chapter Thirty-Seven

"Becca's journal is amazing. At 26, she found a pathway to access a human mind. That same year, she had to lock up A.L.I.E. because her answer for what was wrong with the world was 'too many people'. She was 27 when it launched the bombs." Raven gushed from her spot between Monty and me. Clarke turned around and leaned forward so she could see Raven. "What did she write about the flame?" she asked.

"A.L.I.E. 2.0. She saw it as a way to atone for her sins. She designed it to not just access a human mind, but to merge with one. It could never wipe us out because it would be one of us. She would put it in herself first. Altered her genes so her body wouldn't reject the implant." raven answered. I flipped the flame around in my hand, studying it as she talked. "Bekka Pramheda, the first Commander. The gene therapy made her blood black, didn't it?" I asked.

Raven looked at me and nodded her head. "Nightblood." Clarke mumbled, thinking about something. "Somehow it became hereditary, Luna has it. That's why we have to find her. If she can access A.L.I.E 2-.'' I cut off clarke. "Then we beat A L.I.E 1. I still don't understand why we're finding her when you have a nightblood right here." I snapped. Bellamy glanced back from the driver's seat.

"Luna knows more about the flame than we do Bailey. I would rather her take it then you.'' Clarke answered. I looked away and licked my lips. "Go back to the mind pathway." Monty said, grabbing the flame from my hands. "If A.L.I.E. uses it to upload our minds to the City of Light, then there's a chance my mom's still alive.'' Monty said, hope in his voice.

My heart ached for him. "That depends on your definition of "alive"." raven said, shutting down all of montys hopes. I reached across Raven and placed my hand on his knee, giving him slight comfort. Catching sight of the down jasper across from me.

"Eyes sharp. Weapons hot. We're almost home." Bellamy announced, reaching for the radio to call miller. "Miller, come in," he said into it. When the radio produced nothing more than static, Bellamy tried again. "Harper you there? Your ride is two minutes out.". Still nothing.

Everyone looked around anxiously. "Good start." Jasper mumbled.

A little ways from Arkadia Bellamy stopped the rover. I got out and stood beside Bellamy and Clarke, both swords in hand. My heart raced. Just a couple days ago I watched Vince die at the hands of my own people. I was supposed to die, appart of me wishes I had.

"We left two days ago. Why haven't they fixed the gate?" Clarke yelled out from behind me. "Maybe because there's no one here to fix it." Jasper suggested, his head sticking out of the turret.

As we neared the gate Bellamy tried again. "Miller, where the hell are you? I don't like this.''. "Maybe they got chipped." Jasper said. I looked up then back down. "If they got chipped they would be waiting for us at the cave." I replied. "Maybe they saw the open gate and went in for Lincoln's book." Jasper yet again suggested. "Maybe you should stop saying maybe." I snapped.

"If they are chipped, Alie already knows we're coming." Clarke replied. I looked around as the rover came to a stop, my eyes landed on a puddle of blood. Exactly where I saw Vince last. My body tensed as my mind replayed the memory. I didn't want to be here. Tears threatened to spill from my already sore eyes.

Forcing myself to look up I pushed away all emotions and thoughts. We came here for something so let's finish it. "Lets get his book and get the hell out of here." I said, looking towards Octavia who gave me a look of pity. "That's a plan I can support." Jasper muttered.

One last glance at the group and I started to walk away, hearing Bellamy tell Clarke it was Vince. The rover started moving again and passed me. I followed it all the way into the hangar bay. I looked around and saw no one.