Chapter Fourteen

I sat on a rock sharpening my sword, while listening to Raven scream. Soon Finn came running out with Bellamy and Clarke not too far behind. They broke off and Bellamy made his way towards me. "Why do you look upset?" he said, taking a place beside me. "I'm fine." I hissed. "You're always fine." he said, taking my hand in his. I looked around, watching as people filed near the gate, getting ready to leave. "Clarke thinks this is the best option," he told me. "In some cases it might. And in others this might be stupid." I told him. "All right, let's move on! Eyes open!" someone yelled as they made their way out the gates.

Me and Bellamy stood. He stopped by the fire, dropping my hand I forgot he had. He stared at it with sad eyes. I placed my hand on his shoulder. "You did good here bellamy." I said. He looked at me and I looked back. Our brown eyes danced along each other's faces. "18 dead." he said, licking his lips. "82 alive.". Bellamy pulled me in for a hug, surprising me.

I tensed at the unfamiliar contact from him. He pulled away and threw some water on the fire then grabbed my hand and led us out to follow the group. We stayed in the back, walking hand in hand. I watched as our hands swung while we walked. I was so confused. Bellamy kept sending me mixed signals. The other day he yelled at me and now he refused to let my hand go. I didn't know if I was welcomed or only someone he needed at the moment. Whatever it was, I needed to get away. But did I want to?

Suddenly we stopped moving and everyone was told to be quiet. I tore my hand away from him and grabbed my sword. I crouched down and carefully stepped towards the trees. "What are you doing?" Bellamy whispered harshly while I brought a finger to my lips. I climbed up a tad and noticed something flying towards the front of our group. I jumped down and ran towards Bellamy, opening my mouth but Jasper screamed it before I could. "Grounders!". Everyone started shouting at me and Bellamy yelled at everyone to run back to camp. "Move! Move!" me and Bellamy screamed. Once we were the last again we ran with everyone back to camp. A girl had tripped and fell behind so I ran to her and helped her back to camp.

Once inside the gates I turned to Bellamy who was at the wall looking through his gun. "Where are they? Why aren't they attacking?" he said in frustration. Clarke looked around. "Because we're doing exactly what they want us to do." she huffed. "What are you talking about?" Bellamy asked. "Lincoln said the scouts would be the first to arrive." she said. "Is it's just scouts we can fight our way through.'' I said. Octavia placed her hand on my shoulder. "That's what Lincoln would do." she winked at me and I knew she was also talking about Vince. "We're done doing what that grounder would do. We tried it and now Drew is dead. You want to be next?" Bellamy said to the two of us.

I felt my head hang low as my thoughts that have been filling my mind showed up. I hated these thoughts. Sometimes they just get so much i can't ignore them.

"That grounder saved our lives. I agree with Octavia. For all we know, there's one scout out there." Finn chimed in. "one scout with insanely good aim." Jasper breathed. "Clarke, we can still do this!" Octavia pushed.

I just wanted to slip away from the conversation, but everyone in it wouldn't allow me. Octavia had her arm wrapped around my shoulders while Bellamy kept on eying me. I felt my body shutting down the closer we got to this war. I shut out their conversation and fell into my own thoughts again.

I stared at my feet, burying the tip of my boot into the dirt. I wished I was surrounded by water. I want to have my body submerged as I sink to the bottom. Just to watch the sun fade to darkness the deeper I went.

I felt my body move forwards but I was still lost in my thoughts. I didn't even realize I was in a tent or beside my injured friend until a hand gripped mine. "We'll make them count. If the grounders make it through the front gate, guns and grenades should force them back.". I looked up confused as everyone continued the conversation.