Chapter Thirty-Nine

"Everywhere I looked, there were fins. And teeth. And blood. I knew if they saw me, I'd be next, so I just floated there, waiting, praying they'd swim on. But they didn't." Shay said.

"She's here. Maybe she changed her mind." Bellamy said, diverting my attention to Luna walking in. "Or maybe you should respect her decision." I said, eyes trained on clarke. Clarke got up, Bellamy followed, and they started towards luna. I groaned. "Im going to make sure they dont do anything stupid." I mumbled to the smiling Jasper.

I quickly caught up to them, just in time for Luna to speak. "The boats return at nightfall. Then you leave. Forever." she said. I nodded my head but they just had to push it. "Luna, let us explain." Clarke said. "She said no!" I interrupted. Bellamy sent a warning look my way. "The girls right, I did." Luna said to Clarke. "No, you need to hear this." Bellamy said, getting in the way as Luna tried to walk past.

She looked at Bellamy, urging him to talk. "There's something out there that is going to destroy us all." he said. "Whatever it is, it can't reach us here.'' Luna mumbled. She pushed past Bellamy and Clarke. "I told you guys, she said no!" I snapped at them and followed Luna.

"We need to talk." she whispered to me and Octavia. Jasper looked around, "That's my cue.", he said getting up to leave. Me and Luna sat down. Luna was fiddling with something in her hand and then held it out for octavia. "I'd thought you want this back." she said. Octavia grabbed it saying thanks.

"What about my swords?" I asked, meaning vinces. "Your weapons will be on the boat." Luna told me. "Well, so much for the great luna, savior of those in need." Octavia mocked. Luna looked towards the small fire. "You don't want to save. You want someone to fight with you.'' Luna told her. I picked at the dirt under my nails.

"Damn right, we're at war. Luna, you just ignore that. Vince would have wanted you to help us." Octavia said, voice filled with disappointment. I scoffed at the mention of his name. "By becoming Commander? I don't think so. Vince knew our rules. We take people in who are done fighting. Done killing. Look at you. Fighting is all you know." Luna said. My head shot up, Luna's eyes looking over to me. "Death is all you know." she said like she knew me.

Going back to Octavia she shook her head. "Vince and Lincoln would have never brought that here.". I felt my eyes tear up as the sound of people clapping started up. I leaned against Octavia, both of us saddened by the loss of vince. "Bailey." Luna said. I hummed and looked at her. She motioned for me to follow her and walked away. Octavia nudged my side. "Go," she smiled. I nodded and followed Luna.

She sat down next to her lover Derrick. I stood awkwardly, Luna chuckled and scooted over so I could sit beside her. "You're different from your friends." she said once i sat. I looked over and noticed Bellamy and Clarke had retaken their seats. She placed her hand on my knee. "It's a good thing bailey. You're not pushing me to take the flame." She smiled at me. "Well you said no, I know a thing or two about people pushing things." I half laughed, thinking about when we first got to the ground or when I would beg people to stop calling me a freak.

"You're a nightblood, why are they trying to make me take it when they have you?" she asked me. Derrick leaned forward and waited on my answer. "They dont trust me, say that you know more about the flame so we would have better chances. Plus some of them are worried the flame would harm me.'' I said, looking over to Bellamy after saying the last part. "You're their friend and they don't trust you?" Derrick asked me. I shrugged, not really knowing how to answer.

Before anyone could say anything else a young man walked up to me. Luna got up and patted my shoulder. "Have fun while you're here, don't let your friends stop you." she whispered. Her and Derrick walked away while the guy sat down. "My name is Rubin." he smiled, holding out his hand. I took it. "Bailey." I smiled back.